Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Uwajimaya


Yesterday Mike and I were in Pioneer Square in downtown Seattle...we finished our errand and had time left on our parking meter so we wandered over to the International District to visit Uwajimaya – an Asian specialty store with items ranging from unique seafood, produce, cookware and more! Years ago in high school I took Japanese and as part of our Japanese Culture class we took a field trip from Lynnwood to Uwajimaya and I have always loved going back.


There are many tanks of live seafood including crab, oysters, lobster, clams, and fish. These are tilapia.


And for the creative cook – fish heads.


Sea urchins.


Eel.


Sashimi, including octopus, tuna and scallops.


Quail eggs – I’ve heard of pickling them...


Tofu – the largest selection of tofu I have ever seen!


And my favorite, Hiyashi Wakame Chuka salad made with seaweed. I had this with dinner last night. YUM!

4 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I suspect I would not find anything like this in Melaque.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Steve - I suspect not. And I want to go again soon and spend more time looking around. There is so much we didn't get to see on Monday.

Anonymous said...

great pix! i love uwajimaya-it certainly brings back memories of living in japan. thought we might go there on sunday after going to the 5th avenue, but i still had to shop at macy's for emily's wedding present, (brenda's daughter) so we headed to the mall in everett instead. the next time i have a day off and the weather is decent, i want to go to seattle and just wander around. i meant to do that this summer and never got around to it.

teresa

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi t - We went back today...post to follow in the AM!