Monday, October 25, 2010

Gloria’s Just Faces-Unibrowed

I recently added Gloria (lover of all things Frida Kahlo) and her blog to my blogroll. I did that because Gloria is a very interesting Latina and I like to read about her art, her cooking and her zest for life.

On August 19, 2010 Gloria provided herself a daunting challenge. She had received some paper, Papel Amate, that she really liked for painting and she decided to use it for a journal that would have paintings of 40 faces on 40 pages – all done within 40 days. Wow. Challenge, indeed!

She posted pictures of her paintings on her blog and on September 4, 2010, I had my first glimpse of Mindy. You see, Gloria named all of her faces and she even included snippets of dialogue with her faces. I liked Mindy because she reminded me of myself...jejeje...

Gloria kept up her momentum and on September 22, 2010 she completed #40. Again, wow. Gloria had prints made of the faces and I was surprised to read that she was going to give away 5 of the faces to lucky readers who commented on the blog about which was their favorite face.

Well, of course I commented on Mindy and low and behold, on October 1, 2010 I found out I was a winner! Yes, Gloria sent me the Mindy print. And ever since then I have been looking for the perfect frame for Mindy. I finally found it and this weekend I hung Mindy in our living room.



Isn’t she beautiful? THANK YOU, GLORIA! Mike and I will take Mindy with us wherever we go...

4 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Oh wow Cynthia. Thank you so much for the mention and the post about my 40 faces. How very kind of you. I'm turning red, ::blush:: I love the way she looks in the frame, that's a great frame. I'm so happy that you like her, it really means a lot. I've got a terrible sore throat and cold and probably will be on and off for a tadbit, but again I thank you for your kindness and hope you have a great week.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

¡De nada!

Brenda Maas said...

How cool.
I have been reading Glorias blog for a few years now and also love her artwork.
How neat that we bloggers all are connected even though we live in such different areas.
Mindy looks gorgeous in her new frame, I am sure she is enjoying it.
Have a good day.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Brenda - Yes, it really is something how we are all connected. Mindy looks very happy...I have a fire going in the fireplace and she is quite warm and cozy.