Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sunflowers in October

I have to laugh when I look back at pics of our sunflowers and pumpkins. We should have planted the seeds earlier. And a sunnier Seattle summer would have helped. But it is what it is and I’m happy to say we finally have sunflowers in bloom!


The pumpkin patch in August.



The pumpkin patch now.


There are lots of babies like this...I’m just not sure there will be enough sun for them to blossom into jack-o-lanterns.


The flowers are so delicate. It surprises me that these beautiful flowers become hard, round gourds.


The sunflowers in August.



The sunflowers now. Notice how they've grown taller than both windows. I never even thought of the windows when I planted the seeds.


I love looking at them. They look like they’re smiling.

5 comments:

Tancho said...

Your sunflower stalks look very thin for some reason. I am surprised that they haven't fallen over yet, if the flower gets any heaving a tight lashing will set the straight...Lol.
We had a weird summer so far, not as hot as usual, so must be the global warming?

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Tancho - Those stalks probably needed some nutrition! This was an overgrown patch of dirt that Mike cleared out when we first moved here. Then we bought some seeds and without embellishing the soil at all I stuck 30 sunflower seeds in at about 6 inches apart. Amazingly 26 of them sprouted and we got a soaker hose around them. Without anything else than a little water they bloomed! And yes, they did start to lean and Mike has lashed about 6 of them to the wall - the ones on the very far right.

GlorV1 said...

Very nice. This year we didn't plant many sunflowers. I tried growing the bright orange color ones and they just didn't bloom. I like your garden. Enjoy it while it lasts. Have a great weekend and I'll be mailing out your print next week sometime.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Gloria - We are enjoying it - until the very end! Next year we'll turn some nutrients into the soil before we plant. I'm sure the tomatoes, radishes, green onions and squash will like that. And I'd love to have success with some chiles like yours!

Anonymous said...

they're beautiful! had you planted them any sooner, they would have drowned or frozen-that's what happened to my neighbor's garden. this is definitely the weirdest summer we've had in the 18 years we've lived in lake stevens.

i'll answer your e-mail later!

have a great day!

teresa