Saturday, October 9, 2010

After the Job Fair…

I was happy – and somewhat surprised – when I received a call from a temporary employment agency recruiter that I met at the Job Fair on Wednesday. I had an interview with the recruiter Thursday morning and went through the entire application process. Prior to our appointment, I completed an online application that was very, very detailed. It even requested a listing of the interviews I have had since returning to Seattle and asked why I thought I did not get an offer after the interview. That seemed fairly “probing” at the time, but today it has got me reflecting back on those interviews, wondering what I could have done better.

During the appointment the recruiter advised me that she would email me a link to a website so I could take some online tests at home to validate some of my software skills. When I read the email I saw there were SEVEN TESTS for me to take – 5 were software and 2 were data entry (10 key and alpha numeric). That surprised me, but the software programs all had tutorials that I could take before attempting the tests.

So what did I do Friday morning?? First I cut my fingernails off so I could type faster. Then it was tutorial city…followed by test city. And I did quite well! I actually like taking these types of tests. I always learn something from the tutorials and taking the tests helps to implant the information in my brain.

I emailed my recruiter some additional documents and she sent off my materials to a potential employer. And then I went back to my job search and submitted 2 more applications for other positions...

4 comments:

Tancho said...

Now you will be overqualified for the positions....
Just kidding, good luck in finding a position you will be happy in.

GlorV1 said...

Hi there. Hope you and yours are doing good. Wow. I haven't had to take tests like that in years. I did recently take my real estate license renewal which is quite long but I aced it and now it's good for another 4 years. I don't have it in an office right now though. Looking for work is difficult and I wish you the best in your endeavors. Don't let yourself get down because it may be a little hard out there, but the jobs are there. You are definitely qualified. Take care and have a great Sunday.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hey Tancho - Thanks for the optimistic comment! HAHA I figure that if two people are equally qualified, but one has higher test scores, that's the one that should get the job! At least that's the way it should be...

Hi Gloria - I remember the real estate license test well. Gulp. Congrats on acing the renewal. Are you going to hang your license anytime soon?? How is the market in Modesto?