Thursday, October 7, 2010

International District

We returned to Seattle from Mexico, via Salem, mid-May. But I am still looking for a job. And not to say that I haven’t enjoyed “The Summer of Mike & Cynthia” – I have! We have done so many fun things together, gone so many places, seen so many friends…it has been fantastic and I’ll always treasure The Summer of Mike & Cynthia.

But it’s time for me to go back to work. I learned about a Job Fair on Washington State’s WorkSource website and it was held yesterday at the Seattle Seahawk’s Quest Field - on the VIP Club Level no less. So I printed some resumes, got dressed up, and practiced my 1-minute sound bite before Mike and I headed downtown. The plan was for Mike to go get coffee and walk around Pioneer Square while I attended the Job Fair and then we’d hook up and go to the International District for lunch.

It was my first ever Job Fair and I was a little disappointed because some of the scheduled employers I had wanted to meet were not there. Hmpff! But I spoke with a few representatives, asked lots of questions, gave out resumes and collected business cards.


As I was leaving the VIP Club Level, I noticed there was access to the seats and I wandered out to take some pics of the empty stadium. When will I ever see it like this again?!


And one of the colorful entrances.



I walked from Quest Field and off in the distance I spied Harborview Hospital. It’s famous for treating traumatic head injuries. And I know that for a fact since Mike was rushed from another hospital in Monroe (many miles away) to Harborview after his Harley crash. It’s so cool how the hospital truly does look over the harbor.


I found Mike and off we went to the International District. I wanted to spend a little more time at Uwajimaya and get some lunch in the Asian food court.


We noticed the dragons hugging the utility poles.


And the pagoda-like structure high above the street.


Soon enough we were at Uwajimaya and I was starving. I got Thai food. A lunch special with garlic chicken, red curry chicken, rice and a spring roll. I took this picture, but noticed that my napkin was in the way and I wanted to take another shot. I stood up and WHOOPS – my camera sailed outta my hand and hit the floor. With the lens out. And it’s still out. Yes, I broke my new camera that I have not even had for one month. ARGHH! We tried to get the lens to move, but it was not cooperating.

I ate my food, but I was so mad at myself. We took a short stroll through Uwajimaya, but needless to say, I couldn't take any more pics, the mood was sour and soon we headed home.

When we got back to Kenmore we took the camera to the shop where we bought it and they suggested we take it to a repair shop downtown and see if it could be fixed. Alternatively, we could send it to Nikon in California and see if they would repair it under warranty, but it would be gone for 6-8 weeks. So we’ll try the local repair shop first.

On a good note, late yesterday afternoon I got a call from a temporary employment agency recruiter that I met at the Job Fair. I have an appointment with her this morning. We’ll see!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with job search!
Been reading your Blog,enjoyed your journey.

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your camera. hope the interview will lead to some jobs, maye even a full time one as that is what sometimes happens with those temp. agencies.

teresa in l.s.

Steve Cotton said...

I know too well about broken cameras. I thought of you again on my walk to work. This time when I saw the pioneer on top of the Capitol.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Anonymous - Thank you for the good wishes! And I'm curious, where are you writing from??

t - I'll have to post about the interview and THE TESTS!

Steve - Ahhh yes, the pioneer man...my Salem landmark. How's he doing?