Sunday, September 28, 2008

Guaymas Marina

Yesterday I put the Lesson Plans on hold and actually went out exploring Guaymas again with Mike. He has been so patient when I come home from school and immediately log onto my laptop and start working. But I must say I love my teaching hours, 7am-3pm, with my actual classes from 8-1:45.

I’ve always been a morning person and now I get up at 5am to walk with Sitka (although I’ve noticed a substantial increase in the crickets early in the morning. They keep hitting my legs, arms, or FACE in the Plaza. Is it cricket breeding season or what??), have coffee and watch the TV news with Mike at 6, and leave the apt at 6:50 to be on campus by 7. If I am totally organized for the next day I occasionally leave right at 3 and am home by 3:15. Not bad, huh?

Anyway, my friend here in Guaymas, Brenda, had another great post – this one is about a Pirate Ship that is visiting Guaymas. So yesterday we went down to the Guaymas Marina to check it out. The Marina is about a half mile from our apt, but we had never been there. I don’t know the history of the Marina, but it is being developed and I think the whole area will be really nice when it is complete. Right now there is just one dock and that is where the Pirate Ship is tied up. It is on the far right.
And here is another picture of it, blocked by the large, white boat. Unfortunately, the dock was secured and we couldn’t walk down there to check it out. And see the church steeples in this next pic? Our apt is just two blocks from the church.

The Marina area is all brand new – even this lighthouse looks new.There is a nice commercial development that has/will have a coffee shop, café and shops (nothing was open yesterday when we went.) It is all shiny steel (or something industrial-like) and glass and very modern. If I didn’t know I was in Guaymas I could have thought I was in Seattle.

Guaymas is sprucing up for the cruise ships that will begin stopping here in about 3 weeks although we can’t figure out where they will pull up. And I'm not sure what the cruisers will think of our laid-back, non-touristy town.

The last thing we noticed was the shrimp boats right next to the bright, new, gleaming Marina. An interesting juxtaposition for the visitor to Guaymas.

2 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Those are good pictures. I read your friends blog and saw the pictures of the pirates ship. Like I said, It will be real nice for you all when everything is complete and you can take a tour on that ship.

Steve Cotton said...

I rather like the look of the shrimp boats at the dock. They give some authenticity to the port -- the cruisers will love it.