Friday, September 26, 2008

Teaching is HARD!

As I have written previously, I loved going to school. My favorite teacher was Mrs. Tooley when I was in the fourth grade at Cedar Valley Elementary in Lynnwood, Washington. I'm not sure why I remember her as my favorite teacher, but I think she challenged me to be good (meaning good behavior v. good grades.) And if there is any reader out there that knows, or remembers, Mrs. Tooley I would love to hear from you.

During week four of my teaching career, I either came home crying to Mike or so excited and happy that I could not stop talking! The crying may be attributed to inexperience and frustration. The excitement and happiness may be attributed to those cute, little children that are learning from me.

Back to Mrs. Tooley - I see some children in my classes that are ME many, many years ago. Out of control. Not necessarily bad, but disruptive. Smart enough, but using their energy is such negative ways.

Sometimes I have to laugh when I reflect back on my school days. More often, I wonder how in the heck am I going to get the wild ones in my classes on track. I have great support, with both Mike and my principal, Elsa. But what about the children that are so busy acting up that they may not be learning any English?

If you know a teacher, give him or her a nod this week. Help them believe that their work is good.

7 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I know a teacher. Her name is Cynthia. She is doing a very good job. And we thank her.

1st Mate said...

Cyn - When I was in college, I thought I wanted to be an English teacher, and then during a classroom visit I remembered that (uh oh!) I HATED public school. That's why I gave up on that idea and became a journalist instead. But you loved school, and that's why you'll make a good teacher. If you think about what you loved about school and try to bring those elements into your classroom, your kids will love it too.

Brenda Maas said...

**Lots of pats on your back**. I am sure you are doing great. As with any job you are going to have good days and bad days, and I know with your attitude the good will far outweigh the bad.

GlorV1 said...

You sound to me like a wonderful teacher. You take time with your students and by time I mean, quality time from what you've written. I guess some days will be good, some great, some hard, but your love of teaching always wins. Take care and smile.

Frankly Ronda said...

I 2nd what Steve said!

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Geez, I really didn't mean to have a little pity party for myself. I was thinking of all the other teachers out there. I guess I don't really think of myself as a teacher yet. Maybe a "teacher-in-training" - but thank you for your kind thoughts.

And to all the teachers that ever had me in their classroom, THANK YOU!

Billy Tarter said...

Hey Cynthia, teaching is a thankless job sometimes. Especially with the young 'uns. Something I always tell myself when teaching kids is "all you can do is your best". You can't MAKE them want to learn English, especially at that age. That might sound like a cop-out, but it's the truth. You can try your hardest, but at the end of the day, they're just kids and they don't want to be in a classroom. If they learn anything at all, even just exposure to a different culture, then you've succeeded.