Monday, September 1, 2008

Day One - Is it Over Yet???

My body hurts. Hurts in a good way. But I have not been bending, squatting, reaching, or sitting on floor mats much at this point in my life...until today! Until almost 6 hours worth of classroom time with a total of 23 (minus 1 or 2 that I may have misplaced today) hyperactive, Mexican kids that know little or next to none English. CARAMBA!

The thing I learned most quickly is that I need more activities planned to keep them busy. But I also saw that some of them were scared/uncomfortable and they didn't want to be there. They wanted their mommies. But I was very satisfied that one of the 5 year olds (my first class of the day) started crying right after her dad left my classroom, but I was somehow able to console her, remember her name all morning (names is a whole other post), and help her get through Day One.

My second class was with the 3 year olds. And even though there were only 3 of them, this was the toughest class. The little boy could not stop crying - although he was happy for the first 2 hours with his Spanish teacher! And then the 2 little girls kept "escaping" to the playground area! I was so happy to see their Spanish teacher come back to help me out. In fact, everyone was helping me with these 3 rascals. I think the language barrier is most difficult for these little ones.

My third class is with the 4 year olds - about 10 of them. Now these characters have a mind of their own and they know just enough English to be dangerous. It was difficult for me to get ALL of them going on the same activity. So I let them do activities in 2 groups. Hey, as long as there was no crying I was happy.

The day quickly came to an end and then I had an hour on campus to rework my Lesson Plans for tomorrow! I'll work from home after I eat Mike's delicious tuna and egg salad and try to get a good night's rest for Day Two.

6 comments:

Frankly Ronda said...

Congrats Cynthia - what a day!

My first career was teaching and I can appreciate the challenges you are facing. I admire your spirit.

Since becoming a mother, I have held preschool teachers in GREAT regard. Managing a group of them takes great patience and love.

Good luck as you continue. My Youngest is in K3. Just FYI, his favorite activity in English is Bingo.

1st Mate said...

I'm amazed they even try to teach English to three-year-olds, but if anybody can succeed at this, I know you can.

Nancy said...

I know you'll do great, of course. How do I know? Because you won the MOST GUTSY award in the 2008 Latin American Bloggers Awards.

I mean it, you are gutsy and can do anything!

Nancy

Nancy said...

By the way, more teaching tips are on Toni's Sinaloa Summer blog. http://toniinmexico.blogspot.com/

Brenda Maas said...

First day is the toughest, just the adjustment is hard for everyone.
You will get a routine going and hit your stride. Don't worry, you will do great.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

THANK YOU ALL!!! Here I go on Day Two...