Saturday, September 6, 2008

The First Week is Over

Halleluiah. This week I went through a test of sorts. And I think I passed. But I am beat.

I don’t think the children realized that yesterday was Friday – do they really understand time at that age? Do they know that for the next two days they will not go to school? The 5 and 4 year olds had a high energy level and I was counting the minutes until each class finished. Seriously. I had to go back to my August 12 post about time - HA. Time does matter to me after all.

Surprisingly, the 3 year olds have settled in over the five days…the little boy did not cry once and the 2 girls were finally peaceful with me. We had a great art project using water colors to paint the letter C on a piece of colored construction paper. And then we sprinkled kosher salt on the letter to make it sparkle. It was a little messy, but it kept them busy for quite a while.

Overall, I enjoyed the week. I sorta like having a schedule in my life again. However, I have to be honest and say that if we didn’t need the income I would not work.

4 comments:

Frankly Ronda said...

It will be good to have the weekend.

My first career was teaching (which is my true calling.) I saw very, very quickly why summers are so important. Teaching takes an enormous amount of both physical and mental energy. You have to recharge. Teaching is mucho rewarding but it is hard too.

1st Mate said...

It's a little early yet for you to love this work, too much stress and uncertainty. But if you focus on the little triumphs and don't sweat the small stuff, I'm betting you will find a lot of joy in it. I'm talking to myself, too, about my own work (though I've been doing it 20 years now I still have to remind myself what counts).

Josie said...

Sounds like the kiddos are keeping you on your toes!! Thanks for your sweet comment... good advice, indeed. :)

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

cynthia, I really enjoy reading your blog, when I can get internet access..we are actually here now in San Carlos, on our way to another border crossing...no, our home is still on the market in the northwest, but of course,we are hoping for a change...I was once the teacher of the Carnation BCC satellite preschool program, but left there to work for Starbucks...