Monday, November 29, 2010

Kenmore Wildlife Watch – Great Blue Herons

Behind the Kenmore Park and Ride lot is the Great Blue Heron Sanctuary. I noticed it when we first moved here while on a walk exploring Kenmore.

Well, what I really noticed was the double-sided sign at the Park and Ride that describes the Sanctuary. I walked to the back of the Park and Ride and saw the fencing, but other than that I couldn’t really tell that there was a sanctuary. Ever since that day I have looked toward the Sanctuary, but never saw any clues that the Great Blue Herons called the area home.

Last year in Salem I wrote about nests I spied in winter when the leaves had all disappeared from the trees. This year I was recently surprised when walking through the Park and Ride. I looked up and saw the naked trees. And within the naked trees are the nests. Lot of them.


It was like Great Blue Heron condo city!


This is the tree on the far right in the pic above.

There is a webcam for the Sanctuary – although it is currently offline for the season – and I am going to remember to check it out in the spring. Maybe I can see some baby Great Blue Herons waking up in Kenmore!

No comments: