Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Interviews

I recently posted about WorkSource Washington and one of the job search workshops I attended. I was not at all satisfied with the workshop. Module Six, of the six module program, was on last week’s calendar. It was titled Interviewing Techniques and since I had two interviews scheduled I decided to give WorkSource another shot. The description of the workshop follows:

Being able to handle an employment interview is a necessity for any job seeker. Learn helpful interviewing tips, and practice your interviewing skills in a supportive, realistic environment.

You might have the best resume ever, but if you don’t interview well, it won’t matter. Being able to handle a job interview is a necessity for any job seeker. Knowing what employers are looking for, and being prepared, are absolute musts. In this workshop you will learn valuable interviewing tips and have the chance to practice answers to frequently asked and sometimes difficult questions in a supportive, realistic environment.

Learn how to complete applications, develop resumes, and design cover letters that will attract employers and lead to more interviews.


Imagine my surprise when I walked out of the workshop, satisfied with the information provided, happy with the instructor, and pleased that it was an interactive workshop – there were 18 of us and we all shared experiences and role-played throughout the three hours we spent together.

The following day I had a 45-minute interview with a panel of three. I had already submitted my letter of interest, resume and writing sample. The interview was the next step in the process. And guess what? The first two questions for me were the EXACT SAME FIRST TWO QUESTIONS we practiced answering in the workshop. I rattled off my answers and felt I was off to a good start. The next step in this job application would be another in-person interview and then “working” in a pseudo database to see how the candidate navigates though the maze. I should find out if I make it to the next step in a week or so.

Two days later I had a 15-minute interview with a business owner. This was the next step after completing the personality test and the cognitive test. The first question was the EXACT SAME FIRST QUESTION we practiced answering in the workshop. I provided my answer and continued on through the interview. The next step in this job application would be a two-hour “test drive” – actually working for the business and having the business owner observe and see how quickly the candidate catches on. Yesterday I was informed by email (using a template response in black with Dear Cynthia in blue - nice...) that a better qualified candidate was moving on to the next step, but if that doesn't work out I'd be one of the first to be considered.

Boy, getting a job has sure changed over the years, huh? Writing samples, tests, “working” before getting the job...guess it’s a sign of the times. So many applicants for each job gives the employer the opportunity to find the best of the best.

For any job hunters reading this, I suggest you rehearse answers to the following two questions:

1) Tell me about yourself. Tailor your answer to the job to which you are applying. Don’t talk about yourself as if you were talking to a friend. Talk about selling points that will help you land the job. This is the question stressed in the workshop and it was the first question posed to me in both interviews last week.

2) What are your strengths and weaknesses? Again, tailor your answer to strengths needed in the job to which you are applying. As for weaknesses, spin it in your favor, but be careful to be honest. This one is hard. That’s why practice answering it before an interview helps.

That’s it. Only time will tell how I did in the panel interview. But no matter what, after that workshop I feel much more prepared to do well in any interview.

No comments: