Thursday, June 3, 2010

Testing by the Computer Gods Part II

I should have sent chocolate chip cookies to the Computer Gods – via Brenda – and maybe my yesterday would have been more fun.

But I didn’t. So I worked through the pain and today my laptop is close to “normal.” My Outlook .pst file saved email, tasks and calendar data up to sometime in 2008 and everything else is gone. (It brought back many memories to look at my calendar and see all of my real estate appointments and then all of my meetings/holidays for the preschool when I was teaching English in Guaymas – whewww…what a ride!)

So after reinstalling my operating system and reloading all of my docs, pics and email; installing Windows’ many updates; upgrading my Internet Explorer browser to version 8; and finally installing my printer, camera and Comcast software – I am back!

Mike, on the other hand, needs to bake some chocolate chip cookies. Soon.

Mike has a “new” program called Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and we’re not sure what it is. The internet claims it is a good product for eradicating spyware, yet it seems like this may be the root cause of all of Mike’s recent issues. We talked to McAfee and Dell reps on extended calls yesterday trying to figure it out. During our final call with a Dell rep we agreed to pay $129 to have him uninstall the program. (We were unable to uninstall it ourselves which raises my eyebrows.) Unfortunately, during the time that the rep was connected to and viewing Mike’s laptop, the internet connection was disabled and we were not able to reconnect Mike to the internet. ARGHHH! This morning Mike is waiting for a call from McAfee.

All of this makes me happy and sad all at the same time. I am happy that we live in the technological age with so much available to us at our literal fingertips. Conversely, I am sad that I can get so easily confused and frustrated when my technology “breaks” and I don’t know how to fix it.

So it’s time for me to go on a power walk on the Burke Gilman Trail. Forget about the past few days and move on. Heck, I need to get a job. Now that’s something to worry about!

3 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

Oh no that sucks that you guys are still having problems.
Got to say I told you so though and am still awaiting my cookies lol. Just kidding.
Hope it gets sorted out soon though.
I had a couple of programs that I couldn't get uninstalled off of my computer and found a program online that you can use for free for a certain amount of days. I think it was called ReVo or something like that. It got rid of those pesky part files for me. Unfortunately my free time period has run out now. I think this is the one:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

In the future you might want to find that and download it if you need to get rid of something. Don't download it until you need it though unless you want to buy it or your free period might run out before you need it lol.
Good luck.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Thanks for the link. Mike has done more research on the program and now it appears that it is a legitimate anti-spyware program. Arggg...that means the Dell vendor guy didn't know what the heck he was talking about. I sure hope he didn't process our $129 payment!

The good news is that both of our laptops are working just fine at this point. YIPPEE!

Brenda Maas said...

Glad everything is working good now. (fingers crossed) and hope it stays that way.
Hi to Mike and Sitka.