Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Sammamish River Trail

Recently I wrote about the Burke-Gilman Trail that is right across the street from where we live. I got up early this morning to beat the Sunday trail crowds and took a bicycle ride on the Sammamish River Trail with my handy camera in my bike basket. This is some of what I saw...


Starting at its intersection with the Burke-Gilman Trail, the Sammamish River Trail heads east.


The paved trail runs parallel with the Sammamish River which is home to all kinds of waterfowl. The Canada geese and Mallard ducks are oblivious to the traffic on the trail. The flock spilled onto the trail and they barely moved as I stopped to take a picture and then rode on by.


There are several small bridges like this one that cross the river.


I spotted these mushrooms and wondered what they are. Does anyone know??


Imagine my surprise when this hen and rooster came into my view! I got off my bike to take their picture and they actually came racing toward me thinking I had some fowl-food. A woman came along with grain and bread to feed them and she explained that they have been on the trail for the last three weeks. She believes they were abandoned there and hopes they can outlast the wily coyote who also calls this area home.



All along the trail are “Exer-Trail” stops. Stops with workout benches, bars and pits. Like riding your bike isn’t enough?!



Further east is a mobile home park that abuts the river. I have noticed the mobile home park from the street above, but I had no idea that some of the mobile homes had river access. I love this one with all of the geraniums on the deck and the boat ready to run the river. How cute is that?! And look at the double-wide with the huge boat docked on the river. I think you have to be 55 to live in the park...maybe (when we’re old enough) a mobile home on the river is in our future!


There are also several large apartment, or maybe condo, communities on the river.



As the trail continues east it winds beneath the concrete ribbons that we call freeways. From my vantage point, the architecture was very interesting.


There is so much green – trees, bushes, grass – I don’t know how green is supposed to make you feel, but it makes me feel content.


Lastly, here is my trusty bike. I spruced her up this summer and she’s now sporting some new red roses. Isn’t she pretty? Hope you liked the river tour!

2 comments:

GlorV1 said...

I did like the bike ride. It was fun. Looks like a really neat place to live. Hopefully the chicken and the rooster will make. Have a great week and thanks for the tour.

Kevin said...

You should have kept riding to come and see me in Woodinville