Monday, June 14, 2010

Our New Home in Kenmore

I know it's crazy. We have moved a lot in the past 2 years. But now we are home! And we are making our new home comfy with the help of Craigslist, estate sales, friends and $mall amount$ of money. Some of you have asked for pics so here goes...



Enter our sweet abode – and notice the tribute to my mom with the Holly Hollow sign. Mike had that sign made when we had our house in Duvall and since my mom loved our house so much we named our house Holly Hollow after she passed on. We have schlepped and hung the sign in Mexico, Salem and now Kenmore. And the pics are tulip shots I took last year in Woodburn, Oregon.



Turn right and you’ll see the bathroom. When Mike and I were apartment property managers (while working our corporate AT&T jobs) we had the luxury of using the property owners’ Maui condo. We love Hawaii (Tahiti is on my bucket list...) and I couldn’t resist this Tiki Hut soap dispenser for the bathroom. (Hehe...how do you like that, Princess?!)

And to go along with it, we just had to have the palapala shower curtain with the flower leis at the top.


On the left is our lovely lavender bedroom which has a wonderful western exposure for lots of light.



And on the right is our 2nd bedroom that we use as our office. This magnificent dark-stained pine roll-top desk was a find on Craigslist and well worth the 200-mile round-trip drive to Centralia.

The dresser was an Edmonds find and I just have to display our family photos on it. (As well as John Wayne and Bob Dylan on the wall above...)





Swing back through the hallway and our kitchen is on the right. I love the lay-out. It is small, but open, and it has a window and a pass-through to the dining area.


Our living room is cozy and was built around the loveseat that we brought with us from Salem. (Thanks Ron and Betty!)


It has a massive fireplace and we have already lit several fires. (It’s not quite summer yet here in Seattle!) The oak table that houses the TV and stereo is an old family piece that I reconditioned many years ago and have hauled from here to there. We had kept it in our trailer in Salem and I am so pleased to look at everyday in Kenmore. When I think about furniture, pictures or momentos I am surprised at the emotions that surface.


Finally, Sitka and me – relaxing in front of the fireplace.

Pictures of the yard and patio to follow!

5 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Thanks for the tour of your great home. I like the layout and you've done a great job decorating. I love that pix of you and Sitka. How we love our family pet members. Thanks for the fun tour, I enjoyed it. Take care.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Gloria - Gracias, mi amiga...if I could only be as creative as YOU!

Anonymous said...

hi cynthia,

just got back from my 2nd walk of the day and decided to read blogs while i cool off.

it was such a pleasant surprise hearing from you today! so glad to know that all is going well.

i love your new place. what an amazing job you've done shopping.

i found out yesterday that my son in nyc doesn't even have a couch-and he has 2 female roommates. don't know why they haven't looked on craigslist-heck-that's how he found his roomies.

looking forward to coming down for a visit and having you guys up as well.

well, i'm off to the shower.

take care and keep in touch. thanks again for calling.

teresa

Brenda Maas said...

Place looks nice.
Enjoy.
Hi to Mike and Sitka.

Anonymous said...

Love the bathroom, and your desk looks like my desk!