Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Burke Gilman Trail

It began as a railroad line and has evolved into the Burke Gilman Trail a 17-mile paved public biking, running, walking and skating trail. And guess where it begins? KENMORE! We live right across the street from it and I have been power walking and “wogging” (my term for ½ walk and ½ jog) on it for the past 2 weeks.

This morning Mike and I woke to something strange – sunshine! So we tweaked our bikes and got out on the trail. I brought my camera and want to share the highlights.


This is the part of the trail that begins in Kenmore. At this point the trail becomes the Sammamish River Trail and continues for 10 miles to Marymoor Park in Redmond on Lake Sammamish.


As we headed west we passed Wayne Golf Course. As you can see, the bountiful spring rain has been good for the grass.


At this point the trail runs along the Sammamish River Slough. There are many extraordinary homes on the Slough, including this beauty.






Next is a small marina and I’m guessing that some of the homeowners keep their boats there while others keep their boats in their “front yards.”




The trail runs parallel to the Bothell Highway and soon enough we came upon my favorite – Kenmore Air! This is the very north end of Lake Washington.


Here is another marina with many boats hauled out.


There were a lot more people on the trail today than the early morning commuters that I usually see. In fact, Mike and I had to bike single file and be careful not to hit any runners.

It was a great ride and we hoped you enjoyed the tour. And now...back to my job search...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a day like today makes all that rain worth putting up with. steve and i headed to the edmonds sat. market then walked onto the ferry and on to kingston. there is a creperie in town that i'd been wanting to try and it was definitely worth the ride. plus there was a farmer's market in kingston too where i bought a gardenia-one of my favorite flowers. do you think we can get together sometime in july? maybe i can bring my bike down and we could ride the trail or we could go for a long walk.

enjoy the rest of the weekend and good luck on your job search.

teresa

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

such beautiful photos, this post really made me miss the PNW. I know the trail so well. Thanks for posting this. I will probably dream about it tonight. LL

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Teresa - YES, you should bring your bike down. That would be a lot of fun. I just saw your email and will reply later. Thanks!

Linda Lou - So did you dream about the GREAT Pacific Northwest and Carnation last night or did thoughts of rain in Alamos come to mind? I hope I win your earrings!