Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sitka is Home!!!


Sitka was returned to us today!

She was hungry and a little dirty, but seems to be just fine. A guy in our neighborhood saw one of our flyers at the little grocery store on our street and he knew where the Americanos lived so he just drove over with Sitka in the back seat of his car.

Luckily Mike was here and he took Sitka inside. When I got home from school I tried to get her to take a shower with me, but she said, “not today.” I never got the whole story on how, or where, this guy found her, but it doesn’t matter. She’s home!!! And I could not be more relieved.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH to everyone who posted a comment, or emailed, or helped look for her, or offered support, or used their own blog to spread the word about her missing. (Including Steve Cotton – in Salem, Oregon USA!) We have had more than one situation in which I reached out to the blogging community – mostly people I have never met, yet I feel like I know so well – and again I cannot believe how strangers are willing to help other bloggers!

And out of all of this, I finally got out and met my neighbors. It had been so hot and humid that I had barely walked around our neighborhood (we moved here in June) until these past few days. Every merchant I spoke with agreed that I could hang a poster at their business. Every person out on the street listened to my story. Many people had suggestions about where to look. And keep in mind that my Spanish is minimal, yet people worked hard to make the communication successful. I feel so lucky right now.

11 comments:

GlorV1 said...

I just want to say I am so happy for you and God bless you, and your Sitka. Hooray for SITKA!!! She's home!!.

Steve Cotton said...

What a great way to close out the night. We learn much from our adversities. But, for the moment, the three of you are united -- and I can say little more than that.

Frankly Ronda said...

Just wonderful!

The Propane Chef said...

That's what I'm talking about right there. You have yourselves a community. So good for you, and Sitka!

(I've seen this kind of neighborliness everywhere from Mazatlan to Santa Rosalia, from strangers to next-door neighbors to friendly bureaucrats. I can't count the number of times your average Jose goes out of his way to help someone like..."us." It means a lot.)

So glad Sitka's back where she belongs. Give her a loving lecture, for me...

Marianne
s/v Gallant Fox

Islagringo said...

So glad to hear you got your baby back!

Babs said...

YEAH.......When my tenants dachsund disappeared, the little boy next door burst into tears - he's about 7. He went home and got his WHOLE family (9 brothers and sisters) and they went down into the canyon and for an hour looked for Guinness. The kindness of people in Mexico knows no bounds....
I'm THRILLED that Sitka is back home.

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Welcome home Sitka!!! I am so happy for you. Congratulations!
regards,
Theresa

Beth said...

Welcome back Sitka!!!

Cynthia and Mike - I'm SO thrilled for you!! You have no idea! I've thought about your beautiful girl every single day, and I'm so incredibly happy she's home!

(Maybe there another Shepherd showing her the way ;) wink wink) LOL

1st Mate said...

Cynthia - so glad to see you got your Sitka back. Poor baby, I bet she was so glad to get home.

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

very, very happy that you have sitka back with you.!

Billy Tarter said...

That's great that you got your dog back! I remember losing our dog Rocky when I was a kid in Haiti. He was gone for about 3 days... I think we cried every night until my Dad just happened to see him on the sidewalk. When he came back, I kept saying "It's like a dream!"