Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hello

Hello, how are you?
I am fine, thank you. How are you?

It’s so simple. Just twelve words. Dialogue English speakers use everyday without blinking an eye (or without really meaning it!) But today it meant a lot more to me.

For all of my classes I have been using a poster about different greetings – “Hello” in English v. “Hola” in Spanish v. “Aloha” in Hawaiian v. “Bonjour” in French…

And I always extend my hand for a handshake while I say, “Hello, how are you?” My goal is to have them all respond, “I am fine, thank you. How are you?” You would probably be surprised at how little my students actually speak English around me. I’m lucky to have a couple of them know what to say – and I think it’s the handshake that cues their response.

However, this morning I was greeting one of the 4 year old boys and I said, “Good morning, how are you?” I could not believe I heard his little voice squeak out, “Fine, thank you.” There was no handshake, no drill…it was just me and one little kid with no one else nearby. And he knew what I was asking him! AND he knew how to reply in English!!

Small steps...

5 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

Rewarding moment. See what you are doing is working. Way to go.

GlorV1 said...

Your teaching skills are now rewarding you. Congratulations.

Frankly Ronda said...

Awesome! As the Mother of a Kinder3 child learning Spanish - I am thrilled when he says anything in Spanish at all!

Steve Cotton said...

Success is measured in each small moment. Nice job.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Thanks to you all for helping me to remain positive! It is very difficult to face those little faces every day and wonder if I am actually doing any good.