Sunday, October 26, 2008

Lost Dog in Guaymas


Late Friday night Mike took Sitka out to go to the bathroom. Unfortunately, she was not leashed. She saw a cat and ran after it. And kept going.

We have not seen her since. She takes a thyroid medication twice a day and she is not a street dog that knows how to fend for herself.

We have walked and driven and walked and driven our neighborhood. Lolita's (our landlady) housekeeper, Maria Elaina, got a notice out on the local radio. I put posters with Sitka's picture in our neighborhood, offering a reward, and asking for help. I have been to the local police station 5 times. They have her picture. My friend, Brenda, was kind enough to accompany me - with her Mexican national landlady - to the police station to clarify the information they were providing to me. I am beside myself.

I never had children and Sitka was the closest thing I ever had to a child. We drove 5,000 miles to get to Guaymas and were always careful to keep Sitka closeby. And after all that, I lost her here in Guaymas? It just doesn't seem right.

If you know anyone in Guaymas, please tell them we are looking for Sitka. And if you have any other ideas, please let me know. My cell phone is 622.111.7973. Gracias.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

OhCynthia & Mike , I am so sorry to hear that!! We will keep Sitka in our thoughts and both of you to two, I can't imagine how agonizing it is for you!! love you all Jackie & Kurt

Ale said...

Our prayers are with you. I have read your blog for some time now and know hoy much Sitka means to you. We´ll keep an eye for her. Maybe you could talk to the people of "Entre todos", that is a local news and a lot of people watch them. If there´s anything we can do please let us know.

GlorV1 said...

Oh no Cynthia and Mike. I'm so sorry Sitka is missing. I could not see losing my doggies. I'll say a prayer for you and Sitka. I hope you can find Sitka. Please keep looking, maybe Sitka will smell its way home, I hope. God Bless.

Beth said...

Oh Cynthia! My heart is breaking! Keep faith and keep strong. I'm emailing you back now.

Anonymous said...

i was looking for sitka around downtown and i realized that a reward poster could work in the supermarkets and also in the vets offices.
What about Empalme? somebody may know about a lost dog or know about the one who found her.
make some phone calls to "entre todos Guaymas" its a very popular television show that its going to spread the case.
we are alert and keep the faith.
Best wishes!!
Ulisses.

Theresa in Mèrida said...

This is one of my biggest fears, I am so sorry that this happened to you and to her! I hope you find her soon. Did you put on the posters that she needed medicine? I hope you can find her soon. My friend Lin lost her cat when she first moved down here, and found him again a month later, so don't give up hope!
regards,
Theresa

Nancy said...

Yes, really, don't give up hope. She wants to be with you and just lost her way.

Take care,

Nancy & Paul

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

Try hard not to lose hope. We brought our cats here to Alamos, Cookies and Ashes, a month in the truck from the Pacific Northwest and suddenly, Ashes was missing for over 10 days. I never blogged that because we did not want KD and Ian to know....but one day, she returned.....I think Sitka will find her way home. I know your sadness, but just wait..she will find her way home to you.....linda lou

The Propane Chef said...

I am so sorry about this. I come back from a 2-week emergency trip to the US (mom's sick), and the first time I get online -- this. Stay positive and DO EVERYTHING everyone suggests. Entre Nos and posters with a reward (maybe contact a local vet & ask them to keep an eye out?) are good ideas & I second them. I also think the chances are good that Sitka will be back - dirty, smelly, guilty look on her face, perhaps a bit thinner & with that thyroid that needs attention - and it will be the last time she ever pulls a stunt like this. I'll be thinking of you.
Marianne, s/v Gallant Fox

Anonymous said...

Have you guys posted something on the web page Viva San Carlos? Many pets have been returned to their owners thanks to the many readers who live in San Carlos and guaymas.