Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cruisin’ Into Guaymas

We have been watching the electronic “countdown monitor” at the Plaza de los Tres Presidentes and today was the day the first cruise ship anchored for the day in Guaymas.

As I have mentioned, the city has been sprucing up and I had recently noticed vendors setting up in the Plaza and surrounding area. So when I headed out for school this morning, I took a different route – I drove through the downtown core, el Centro. And this morning I realized this was a really big event for Guaymas – as it should be!

The ship was scheduled in at 8am and I was driving at 6:50am….the buses were shiny, the streets were being swept, there was strong police presence, vendors were prepping for sales…it was very exciting! And I wish I could have been at the dock to welcome that first boat…

Nevertheless, the Preschool teachers ascended the Preschool amphitheater steps and from there we could see the cruise ship in the distance. (See the big white sorta blurry thing sitting in the water smack dab in the middle of this first pic - double click to enlarge.) It was really something to see that huge ship in our port. From this next pic you can see part of the school and the ship.And from this last pic you can see the school grounds with the ship in the distance. It made me cry.
After school Mike and I went to the malecon and the Plaza de los Tres Presidentes where so many Guaymas families had gathered, bands were playing, dancers were dancing, and vendors were selling. It was way MORE that the Independence Day celebration!!!

All day I had this unusual feeling about how much I care about Guaymas and how lucky I feel to be part of this big day. I’m not sure I want Guaymas to become “touristy,” yet at the same time I believe this could really help our economy.

Bottom line – I felt very proud to live in Guaymas today and I am happy that I can be a part of the future of this great city!

2 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

Isn't it funny how this funky little city can grab your heart and hang onto it? We also felt very proud to be part of the city today, as we do everyday; but today all the work that the various parts of government and the people have done culminated in an event that will hopefully mean good things for the people of our city.
Arriba Guaymas!!!!!!!!!

Frankly Ronda said...

wow - what an opportunity! I love those "it only happens once and I am so lucky to be here days"!