Saturday, August 2, 2008

Housing in Guaymas

We feel so lucky that we have the opportunity to live here in el Centro in a really great apt - thank you Lolita!

And as we drive around Guaymas we see many different types of housing so we thought it might be interesting to show some pics of what we have seen...




This first pic is on the street that leads down to Hotel Ana and our apt - and see the sea in the distance. I love driving down this street!

And following is a closer shot of the houses on the left side of the street. See how they are bulit right next to each other, sharing common walls? These homes face west and I'm sure they get quite warm from the sun all day...at night the families in these homes sit outside with the kids playing close to the street.














A lot of houses are built right into the hillside - and there are numerous hillsides in Guaymas. Not only do the house colors vary, but the style and condition of the homes vary as well. We're not sure which ones are occupied and which are not. This was also taken at the top of the road that leads to our house - looking the opposite direction from the water.













This is an apt building close to the Immigration office. It was one of the first apt buildings I remember seeing. I can't help but wonder about the heat - considering this shot is facing west. But I do see some air conditioners and maybe the apts run lengthwise with an eastern exposure that allows for some breeze through the apts.














Here is an interesting shot of a house that stands alone and looks very sturdy. I think it was the "sturdiness" factor that caught my eye when I took the pic. Funny enough I had not even thought about all the concrete buildings in Guaymas until my best friend, Cheryl, pointed it out to me. A good percentage of the homes in the Seattle area are built from wood so now that I think about it the construction material here is very different. I wonder how old it is?? And I also wonder how you might be able to research a property. Just today Lolita told me that her house sits where her husband's family's original home stood for TWO HUNDRED YEARS!












This is a neat looking house - or is it a hacienda - that overlooks the roadway leading to the beach in Guaymas. And here is another house that is in the colonia close to the beach...I don't know that colonia's name, but there are many stand alone homes here...many of which are new.













The school I will teach at (Colegio Navarrete/St. Mary's Preschool) is located in a nice part of town with many houses. See this pic of a large house that sits solo on a lot above the schoolgrounds, hugging the mountainside.



Below is a neighborhood of houses that we can see on the way to the beach. They remind me of the many bucolic neighborhoods on the Eastside in the Seattle area. My presumption is that they are fairly new and maybe fairly expensive. I have yet to check out real estate info since we've been here.













Lastly, this is a brand new neighborhood in Norte Guaymas. We stopped to get out and look inside the little houses. And then we noticed what appeared to be a real estate agent showing a couple one of the houses. They flagged us down and provided us info about the houses (in Spanish so we only understood a portion of what they were saying) and told us where to go to inquire further about purchasing one. We explained that we're happy in el Centro!

5 comments:

1st Mate said...

Wow, that last photo could be the illustration for the song "Ticky Tacky Boxes"! How do you know when you're home?

I'm curious what prices are like in Guaymas. In San Carlos they're comparable to what we were seeing in California! In the past two years they have just zoomed upward, but maybe they'll level off now.

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Very cute town. I love the fact that it isn't flat.
regards,
Theresa

ps: in Merida you can buy little ticky tacky houses for around $200,000 mxp, they are tiny, maybe 3 rooms total,unfinished inside and have minuscule yards. The nicer set of new houses are probably around $600,000 mxp in Merida.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Bliss & Theresa - Now you've got me wondering about prices...we don't intend to ever buy another home so I hadn't thought much about it. (Being freed of all belongings except what can fit in our truck and trailer has been VERY liberating!) I'll have to get out my Spanish dictionary and figure out the appropriate language to use so I can ask some real estate questions!

Brenda Maas said...

The large apartment building that you have the picture of is supposed to be condemned and not fit to live in; but people are still living there.
A couple of years ago the tiny houses without an indoor laundry room were about $28,000 dollars. The ones with an indoor laundry room were about $32,000 dollars. I am not sure what the 2 story ones are as we never asked anyone about them.

Brenda Maas said...

Sorry should also have added that the ones with the indoor laundry room were slightly bigger also, accounting for the higher price.
Personally we like the older area of the city where we live as there are lots of mature trees. In those new areas everything looks so barren.
If you are really interested in the prices ask blogger Ale as she works for/through Infonovit.