Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mexican Sign Language (“lengua de señas mexicana” or LSM)

Mike and I just returned from a grocery store and we had a neat encounter at the tortilleria (the stand that sells fresh tortillas.)

Mike was ordering tortillas de harina and a woman standing at the stand began motioning to the tortilla clerk. I’m not sure what she was saying, but I thought she might be reading Mike’s lips and possibly using sign language to clarify Mike’s request with the clerk. (Years ago I studied American Sign Language [ASL] and I eventually received an AAS degree in sign language interpreting – although I never actually worked as an interpreter.)

Over the years in the States I would see people using ASL all the time, but I would not attempt to use my rusty ASL unless it was absolutely necessary. And in Mexico City I saw many people signing, but I did not attempt to talk with them. That said, I don’t know what made me do it, but in my best ASL I asked the woman if she knew sign language. Her eyes lit up – but bear in mind that ASL and LSM are different languages, although some signs appear to be universal.

Somehow, some way using ASL, LSM, Spanish (the clerk seemed to know both LSM & Spanish), and English we had a conversation! The woman explained that she had lost her hearing from some sickness while she was pregnant, but that her daughter can hear and she helps her mom by interpreting Spanish into LSM - most hearing kids of deaf parents are bilingual. I told her that Mike and I had moved to Guaymas… Mike got involved in the conversation and she told us that she works in a factory nearby. We thanked them for their help and said goodbye.

I walked out of that store thinking that I CAN live in Mexico and communicate. Maybe in Spanish, maybe in English and I guess maybe in ASL/LSM.

5 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

What an interesting encounter. I often see people signing downtown and on the buses; but the little sign language I used to know is long gone, I can't even remember the alphabet now I don't think. I remember a few signs, I guess it is true, if you don't use it you will lose it.
What a great way to communicate.

The Propane Chef said...

What a nice blog of a wonderful adventure you two are having, Cynthia! I'm glad you gave me the link to your site. In my opinion your choice of Guaymas as a new home was a good one - it's a nice town with good people there, and it's FULL of history: some of Mexico's toughest fighters came out of Sonora, & Guaymas was where all the action happened. The book "Fire and Blood" by Fehrenbach is a good history of modern Mexico that describes all the goings-on. Also, as a boater I can't help but recommend some of the beaches near your new home: when you have the time, take a day-trip drive NW out of town a couple miles past San Carlos to go to Playa Algodones (big, long, white-sand beach) or about 12 miles further to Playa Chollado (smaller beach but very private & picturesque). Both places have snorkleing opportunities if you're into such things. So much to do, so little time...

All the best,
Marianne Smith
s/v Gallant Fox

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Congratulations! That was totally awesome! I'm glad to hear you are feeling more positive. Just study and practice, that's the key.
regards,
Theresa

Unknown said...

Hey Girlie,

what adventures indeed, I am so glad you pulled out your ASL & went for it!!! I knew that would come in handy someday! I was anxious to catch up on your blog today, I just returned from a week in California, had a family reunion in Santa Barbara, all 6 sisters were there along with my Padre, the eldest living member of the family! Sat. we all went swimming in the ocean at Carpenteria beach where as kids we spent many a summer day!! It was so great, my Dad rode a couple of waves, at 86 he impressed many of the young cousins of mine :)! Today it is back to work, and I'll see if I understand this ASL we learned oh so long ago, hugs to you, Mike & Sitka!!!! xoxo Jackie

Frankly Ronda said...

I just read your entire blog. Love it!

1st - Really admire you guys. What a journey. Brave. Strong. And a Sense of Humor.

2nd - So many of your steps
-sorting, selling, giving away stuff
- painting
- insurance, forms
- Monterrey driving!@#@!7%&
- Policia Bribes
- Studying the AAA map and finally learning to navigate using City Signs
and more ...
Are the same as our adventure!!

We have 2 children starting private mexican school (not expat or american school) on 8/18 - one on PreSchool!

I look forward to reading more!