Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Refrigerators

I'm here to report that we had absolutely no idea that the water in Guaymas and Empalme had been shut off for 4 days!!!

In fact, I was so excited to know that it came back on last night I washed a load of towels and rugs this morning and had no problems. One thing I did notice, however, was this sticker inside the lid of the washer......if you only knew how many times I have spilled olive oil on myself while cooking...but I have yet to self-combust!!! Have YOU???

So back to the title of my post...we have an "okay refrigerator" in our ample apt, however, it has just one door and the inside door for the freezer compartment is missing and our ice cubes melt and we can't keep any frozen food and I want ice cream and whaa, whaa, whaa, whaa...

Today we asked Lolita if we could replace our refrigerator and she gave us the thumbs up. Her son, Raphael (who used to live in this apt) will take the old refer for now and we will take the new one with us when/IF we ever move out.

To help you understand what we are dealing with see these pics:


Old refer...




















New refer!
















Old freezer...















New freezer!
















Old fridge...















New fridge!

It's not a giant investment, and it is not a giant change in our lives. But just knowning that we have reliable refrigeration we won't need to shop for fresh foods everyday and we won't need to worry about foods not being kept cold enough. Mike got very sick over the weekend - he had a 103F temp - and we don't know if it was bad food or not, but it got us thinking...

There you have it...our thoughts for today and the things we did after thinking about it all...about thinking about the small space we had for our refer (that matched none of the basic refer specs) and about how many stores we went to in
Guaymas to find the perfect refer...and about how many times I pulled out my tape measure (in inches/yards, of course!)...and about how many refers were just 1.5 inches toooooo wide...in the end we moved our kitchen counters, stove and sink 3 inches to make it fit. Ahhh...how challenges make us finally use our brains!

4 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Glad to hear you survived the municipal-imposed drought. And a nice new refrigerator. What a day!

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Steve - all I can do is laugh.

I'm still working on pasta for dinner. We have a 4 burner gas range, but boiling water take soooo long. The grilled garlic bread was ready long ago...

Tomorrow - ice cream!

Nancy said...

You made me laugh! I think one of the things we will always remember from our first months here is how we had to go from store to store over and over again looking for things we knew we'd seen. And measuring and figuring, too.

I should do a post about the first time we hung anything on our cement walls, pretty funny!

Brenda Maas said...

Glad you got the new fridge.
Maybe some of the jets are plugged on the stove, cause mine cooks everything soooo fast compared to an electric stove.