Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Time

I woke up again last night at 2am. And I almost got up to write a post, but it was just so nice and cool in the bed...

Anyway, I've been thinking about time. When Mike and I both had corporate jobs our lives were run by the clock. Had to get up at a certain time, had to get into the office, had to have meetings and conference calls, had to complete deadlines, had to work overtime, had to make time to spend good time together.

And look at that crazy sentence and see all the references to TIME.

Since we got to Guaymas it seems like we never even consider time. For several weeks after leaving Seattle I was never really sure what day of the week it was, let alone the date. No kidding. I quit wearing a watch and without the constant of my desk with a calendar and the clock on my laptop I lost track. And it really hasn't mattered.

But yesterday morning around 8:30am I headed out to Hermosillo (about 1.5 hours away) to do some shopping, with the goal of being home by 4:30 when Bliss was coming over. I made good time getting to Hermosillo and my first stop was at Sears. After Sears I went to Home Depot. My last stop was Wal-Mart. While sitting in the truck, I noticed the clock said 1:15. Since I needed to be on the road home by 3:00 I thought no problem.

However, I grabbed my cell phone to call Mike and I noticed the phone clock said 1:45. For a half a second I thought the cell phone clock was fast by half an hour. I kept thinking about it and finally realized that the cell phone was correct and the truck clock somehow was late by half an hour.

In my Guaymas life a half an hour amounts to virtually nothing, but just knowing my "time" had been cut by half an hour sent me into a shopping frenzy! There were so many things I wanted to buy at Wal-Mart. (Yes, I know that sounds so crazy since I had never, ever even been in a Wal-Mart until our first visit to Mexico City in March...) I was panicked and I rushed through that store. I drove home safely at a nice clip (80mph/128kph.) I walked into our apt at 4:29 and Bliss came over minutes later.

I write about this because a fundemental piece of Cynthia has changed significantly. And I like this pace...I like being lazy...I like not knowing what time it is...I know it'll all change with school starting next week...but right now it's 5:00 somewhere...

3 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

Couldn't agree more.

William Lawson said...

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog! Had a quick look here and the time thing rang a bell! When I got to Mexico 20 years ago I took off my watch and haven't worn one since! Crazy...

Beth said...

God how I wish I could take this STUPID watch off!!! Great post Cynthia - Absolutely on the mark!