Wednesday, August 6, 2008

School's Starting!

When Mike and I first decided to make the move to Mexico we knew we'd need to work for about 10 years before we can retire and draw on our retirement funds and Social Security. And we knew we'd be limited in what work we could legally do in Mexico so we followed the lead of our friends, Denise and Billy, and got certified as TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages), with the goal of teaching English.

We originally accepted teaching jobs in Mexico City (DF) and visited DF in March. On that trip Mike had seizures and brain surgeries (check the March posts.) Undaunted, we returned to Seattle and sold our house, then drove to DF but changed our minds about living and working in DF. We drove west and have since made our home in Guaymas.

Mike's having some issues with reading and writing - eye strain - and he is seeing a new doctor here in Guaymas. We're not sure if Mike will ever be able to teach. Meanwhile, I have a teaching position (teaching English to preschoolers at a private school) that begins on August 18. The first week will be orientation/training for the English teachers in the school that includes preschool, primary and secondary levels. The following week classes will start.

So for the last 8 weeks we have been exploring Guaymas and the surrounding communities, setting up our household, adjusting to the heat and humidity, meeting new friends, eating new foods, and helping our 10-year old German shepherd in adapting to our new life here.

This time has been so luxurious and I'm envious of all the expats who don't need to work. But at least I love school. I loved being a student as a kid, as well as an adult, and I took many, many years to finally get my University degree. September always meant "getting" to go back to school and I looked forward to every autumn for that very reason.

The twist is that I have never been a teacher - let alone a teacher of little ones. Little ones that speak a language I am just learning.

In my 20s and 30s I worked in the restaurant industry - cocktail server, food server, bartender, manager. And that is a crazy, fast-paced industry. I still have nightmares that I'm working in a restaurant and my section fills up and I can't get to everyone and I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat - relieved that I don't work in a restaurant.

The weird thing is that this week my nightmares have morphed from scenes in restaurants to scenes in classrooms...ugh. I have exactly 18 days left before my first class...stay tuned.

8 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Just keep repeating that it is a new adventure. I look forward to hearing how grand it is.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

I don't know if it was the wind or the nightmare, but here I am up at 2am. New adventure, new adventure, new adventure...

Brenda Maas said...

You will be fine. You have such an unbeat personality and positive outlook on life how could it be otherwise.
Don't worry.

Unknown said...

I will chime in with the others Cynthia, you'll do great. Think of the many things you have learned...and if you don't like this particular position, you don't need to stay. You've already figured that out on your adventure thus far, if one place don't work, get on to the next. It is scary when we step out into new environments....but I know you can do it!!! I think you'll be a gift to those kids & I bet they'll make you smile too!! Can't wait to read the stories.....love & smooches Jackie

Babs said...

Ok Cynthia - when I first read that you DROVE to DF with a trailer and then drove OUT of DF - I thought these are GUTSY people! I, who have lived or worked in Mexico for almost 40 years could NEVER do that......so teaching kids cannot possibly be as "death defying" as that episode was......It will be SO great.......

Billy Tarter said...

Hi Cynthia,
I also worked in restaurants for about five years, and I have the exact same nightmares. No one else does, so it's nice to find someone who shares this recurring dream. Too many tables, kitchen backed up, can't seem to remember anything... ARGH!
Teaching is nothing like waiting tables. Don't worry, you'll be fine, and you'll love it.
My advice to you - be patient with yourself and with the students. The first couple of weeks will be challenging. You will find the students don't listen to you, don't obey you, can't sit still. They are incredibly young and still learning social skills. They're not familiar with the schema of "school" and what's appropriate. Don't try to do too much in any given class. And finally, be extra goofy... the kids will love you for it, you'll win their hearts, and they will WANT to please you, eventually.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hey all - thanks for the good wishes.

And I have to laugh about driving out of Mexico City - afterall, we had to hire a taxi driver to lead us to the correct freeway!

Billy - too bad we have to share such a yucky dream. But I'll work on that "extra goofy" element and see if it helps while teaching.

Unknown said...

Hope your first day at school went well.

I've had a few times here when I've been feeling sick and tossed and turned all night. Falling in and out of dreams of English worksheets with answers that keep changing, and students asking me tough grammar questions.