Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Rain Day #2

My friend, Brenda, here in Guaymas wrote a very descriptive post about our rain and flood situation due Tropical Storm Julio...check it out. And in case you're wondering, yes, school was suspended again today. Dang. The teaching delay is frustrating!

Unfortunately, our front window and the ceiling in our bedroom closet leaked. Leaked a lot. Leaked so much we could barely keep up with wringing out towels and mopping up the water.

Early on we moved all boxes from their hiding places (under the bed, under the couch, stacked in the closet) and got them up and on a piece furniture to keep them from getting wet.

For a few hours all we did was wring and mop. I still didn't know if school would be suspended or not so I went to sleep. Mike stayed up and mopped as needed. I got up at 5am and took my turn mopping. At around 6:30 I read on the Guaymas website that school was suspended. I confirmed with Elsa and finished wringing out towels.

Mike and I took a drive through town and were really surprised by what we saw. It's amazing what devestation water can cause. We're home now and it's coming down pretty hard. Our hearts go out to those here who are faced with evacuation and loss of property.

3 comments:

Theresa in Mèrida said...

We bought a shop vac, it is so much easier than the towels and the squeegee, of course, it won't help if there is a hurricane because they cut the power,but generally speaking it's a nice thing to have. Plus we can use it to vacuum the couch.
regards,
Theresa

Frankly Ronda said...

When we had our first leak, Husband and I were like "oh my." I am now realizing this is yet another Mexico happening.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

HA - A shop vac was Mike's first idea during the storm...his birthday is next month...it's not a romantic gift, but he'd love it!!

And yes, it seems like many, many homes have leaks! New homes, old homes...