Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mike Had His Fourth Seizure

Mike did not feel well most of last week and he didn’t eat much. Toward the end of the week he was vomiting and not eating at all. But still we went to River Romp. By Saturday morning he needed to get into a bed so we left in the early afternoon, heading home to Salem.

It was hot when we pulled into the driveway and we both went inside to nap. Later I woke and unpacked the truck, while Mike continued sleeping. We were sitting in bed watching the news around 11:15 when Mike had the seizure. Firefighters responded very quickly and then an aid car took Mike to Salem Hospital and I followed in the truck.

He stayed in ER for a while and then was moved to a room. The docs did blood work and found that his anti-seizure meds’ levels were 50% of what they need to be to prevent seizures. And he was dehydrated with a very low potassium level. So they have been “rebooting” him and he’s much better today.

We’ll stay in the hospital again tonight and hopefully his neurosurgeon will be by to check on him early tomorrow. With any luck he’ll be home with me and Sitka tomorrow evening.

Mike’s 1st seizure was 2 years ago while the 2nd and 3rd seizures were over a year ago in Mexico City. We are surprised that he had a seizure – the implant and the meds are supposed to control the seizures. But he also has to keep the meds down for them to be effective. I’m headed back to the hospital. Hopefully, we’ll have good news tomorrow.

9 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

You are both in my prayers tonight.

GlorV1 said...

Yes, I will pray for you and your husband. My thoughts are with you.

Brenda Maas said...

Sorry to hear this, hope Mike is back to normal soon. Take care and say HI to him for us.

Ale said...

Our prayers are with you. Ulisses and I hope you´ll have good news soon. Abrazos!

Mic said...

Hang in there sweethearts, the best is yet to be.

Michael Dickson said...

A cyber-hug, señora.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Thank you all for the good thoughts. I'm at home feeding Sitka and then I'll head back to Salem Hospital. Mike's so resilient. He's back to his usual chatty, flirty, silly self. At least it appears that way. But I'm waiting to talk to his neurosurgeon before I think it's safe for him to come home.

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

we are thinking of you two and look forward to good news and his return home quickly.

Nancy said...

You guys bounce back from anything, it seems! I hope they get Mike sorted out quickly and back home where he belongs.