Friday, March 6, 2009

Job Hunting in Salem, Oregon

Now that Mike has had his initial Social Security and doctor appointments in Salem, I am ready to work! (Not that I haven’t been ready since we arrived in Salem in late January…but I really wanted to accompany Mike to those appointments.)

In the interim, I submitted a multitude of online applications/resumes, and although I have been notified that I am in the “qualified” pool for some of the positions, I haven’t received any other feedback that indicated I might be hired. Whaaaa

Nevertheless, in the past I was laid off twice (both from AT&T Wireless/Cingular Wireless!) and I turned to temporary employment agencies. I found that to be a very successful road to permanent employment. (And sometimes weird and always challenging…imagine some stranger [me, the temp] sitting at your desk for a day or two!)

So last week I submitted online applications to several temporary employment agencies. This week I followed up with visits to the agencies and actually had two interviews (which included TESTS – I love the TESTS!)

And I am happy to report that I have my first temp assignment next Tuesday! I will be a member of a mock jury. I don’t exactly know what that entails (I’ll get more info on Monday), but I presume I’ll be “acting” as a jury member, listening to counsel’s arguments and such. Is that really work? Hehe

In addition to that one day assignment I have an interview scheduled with a law firm on Thursday. The firm specializes in bankruptcies (gulp) and they are looking for a temporary paralegal to help with the abundance of work coming into the firm. It is actually a “temp to hire” position and if they are happy with the paralegal and the paralegal is happy with the firm it could turn into a permanent position. I am one of three temp paralegals interviewing with the firm. I selected the first available time slot for my interview – I believe going first has advantages – so next Thursday at 11:00 Pacific I need you to root for me!!!

If any readers have stories about temping, please leave a comment and tell us about it!

4 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Good luck with both temp jobs. I look forward to hearing the details when we have dinner with Teresa.

Anonymous said...

and dinner with teresa is only 3 weeks from tomorrow-can't wait.

being part of a mock jury sounds like fun. and i just know you'll get the other job! i'll be rooting for you on thurs. morning.

should have stayed home on friday because while getting ready to go to work, i once again pulled my hamstring. no square dancing tonight-boo hoo!

take care and have a great weekend.

back to my heating pad.
teresa

1st Mate said...

Amiga Cyntia - In 1965 I worked my way across the US doing temp work. Of course a lot has changed since then. I never got any offers as interesting as your mock jury thing. But I was hired on permanently more than once from a temp position, so I have to say it works.

Jill said...

When we first came to town, I also signed up with a temp agency and did a couple short jobs. Someone suggested another approach: Fill out a state application and update my resume. Then personally visit each state agency and as the receptionist if you could speak with the personnel officer or assistant. Ask if they ever hire temporary employees and if they would make a copy of your app/resume and keep on file. I got 4 temp jobs this way. Three offered me a fulltime position. I took the last and stayed there for 23 years.

You can research a little on oregon.gov for each agency (usually a 'contact us' link which states people/positions) that might have positions for which you would qualify.