Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ahi Tuna


Yesterday I was a mock juror for an upcoming trial and I learned more about tuna than I think I wanted to know…

Do you know why the Ahi in the picture has deep, cherry-red flesh? It has most likely been treated with carbon monoxide (in one form or another.) Does that knowledge affect your desire for a nice “fresh” Ahi steak or sushi??

I can’t disclose any details about the case, but 17 other mock jurors and I sure learned a lot about how tuna is processed. And advertised. I had never been a mock juror – heck, I haven’t even ever been a real juror – but now I know how it works. An attorney from the plaintiff’s law firm presented parts of his case, including exhibits and witnesses (some live, some on videotaped depositions) to the mock jurors. This was followed by another attorney from the same firm who was role-playing the part of the defense attorney from the opposing law firm.

There was a lot of information to process and even though we had 2 ten-minute breaks and a half hour lunch break, I felt confusion taking over by 4:00. At around 4:30 the mock jurors broke into 2 groups and deliberated in order to make a decision. I was selected as my group’s Jury Foreperson and I liked that because I like to talk!

After we made our decisions, we reviewed the information with all of the attorneys until 6:00. They asked specific questions about tiny details that some of us forgot OR never really heard. It was a very interesting process and the firm will use our feedback to refine their case, coach their witnesses, change the exhibits – whatever will help them win their case.

I enjoyed the process, even though it got kinda boring. Luckily, my landlady’s son-in-law, Jack, was also a mock juror and we had fun whispering about the case during our breaks. Thanks for going with me, Jack!

Now, who wants to go out for Ahi steaks tonight???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that does sound like fun-more so than being a real juror, i assure you.

see you in 2 1/2 weeks.

teresa