Thursday, March 26, 2009

Behavioral Interviewing

I first learned about Behavioral Interviewing when Mike was a supervisor with AT&T Wireless. The IT Department was a big proponent of Behavioral Interviewing. He would come home and tell me how different candidates had done in their interviews – some good, some not so good. And when I hit the job market in 2000 I remember him advising me to be prepared with answers to Behavior Interviewing questions..."All of corporate America is using this type of interview these days and if you aren’t prepared you will fall short!"... As it turns out, I was never faced with this type of interview – until yesterday. Gulp.

My interview was at 3:00, but I was told to be there at 2:45. At precisely 2:45 I was given an envelope with my name on it. I opened it to find 8 key questions (with little questions included like, “Were you successful? Why or why not?”) My letter about the appointment interview made a vague reference to some “interview questions,” but it hadn’t dawned on me that this meant the dreaded Behavioral Interviewing questions!!!

So there I was. I had 15 minutes to wrack my brain for witty answers. Gulp. Before I knew it, at 3:00, I was met by the head of the Department and taken into a small conference room where I was introduced to 3 other people on the team. There was no chit-chat, just a brief overview about the position, and I was told I would have 40 minutes to read each question out loud and then provide my answers.

So I dug in. And one thing I knew I could do was to read. So I read each question loud and clear, followed by my humble answer. It was weird because all 4 of them were busy scribbling notes about my responses and I had very little eye contact so I received next-to-none non-verbal feedback. But I pressed forward and finally I was done. I took about 30 minutes and I almost felt like I had failed just because I didn’t use all of the allotted time.

I was able to ask a couple of questions I had about the position. Then I provided the panel with my resume and letters of reference and the interview was over. The head of the Department walked me to the door and that was when my blood pressure began to drop.

I’ve now done some checking on the internet and I will practice using the STAR approach to Behavioral Interviewing. And next time I will do better! I just wish I had listened more to Mike way back when…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oops-i got the dates mixed up sorry. he didn't say you didn't get the position did he? maybe there's still a chance you'll get it. they probably have quite a few candidates and they need to check references and all that, so keep your spirits up. and if you don't get this one, it will just mean there's something better out there for you. do i see teaching in your future? just kidding-i know how you feel about that.

teresa

Steve Cotton said...

Our day with Teresa is almost here. Any idea where we should eat? I am looking forward to your interview tales.

Michael Dickson said...

If I had to endure this kind of crap, I´d never have a job again. Thankfully, I don´t need a job.

Buena suerte.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Felipe (hey I like your new name and the new look on your blog!) - Behaviorial Interviewing is just not my style either. I have interviewed hundreds of candidates and if I hadn't had a chance to chat with them and get a feel for their personality how in the world would I know if they would be a good fit? Ahhh...corporate America - I wish I could say I don't need a job! Thanks for stopping by.

Frankly Ronda said...

Behaviorial Interviewing is a good tool that should compliment old fashioned human interaction. I am shocked that the interview was so limiting. Sounds ridiculous.

From an HR Professional.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Mommy - Agreed! Some human interaction would have been really nice.