Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Matthew Epstein

That’s the name of the guy I wrote about two weeks ago. He is a product marketer and he was bent on working for Google – it was his dream job. So he created a website that included the words “google please hire me" and a link to a blog about his journey.

And he wore a crazy fake moustache and made funny videos. His efforts paid off as his site went viral. Not only that, but he ended up meeting with NINE companies in his 1.5 month quest. And at the end of the day, he got a job offer that he accepted. He has yet to announce the name of his new employer, but I’m dying to learn if it is Google – or not.

These are difficult times to look for a job. There are highs and there are lows. Mr. Epstein included a video clip from Rocky Balboa and the following quote:

"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done.”

I have to remember: keep moving forward...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, like many others, saw that video. I liked it, and I'm glad to see it paid off. I wonder if Google hired him. Hope so.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Ahh…Señor Zapata! Just today Mr. Epstein announced that, no, Google did not hire him. He moved to San Francisco to work at a financial start-up called SigFig. I hope he does well!