Monday, August 8, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I like to walk. It slows down my senses and I take in a lot more than when I am zipping by on my bike or going even faster in my truck. Something I’ve noticed lately is the different styles of houses in my neighborhood. So one morning I took my camera with me and took some pictures. And then I gave the houses names.

The Ranch

I love this place. But I have to climb a steep hill to get to it. It is a large spread - a farmhouse with a barn, out buildings and big, black bovines (probably Black Angus) although they are not in this picture.

The Final Home

In the same area is this adult family home, a place for a family member that needs assisted care in the waning years of their life. The place is grand! I wonder what it looks like inside. I hope I get to live in a place like that when, and if, the time comes that I require assisted care.


The Castle

Back down the hill, tucked away in an older neighborhood, is this monster. It has been for sale for at least the whole year + that Mike and I have lived in Kenmore. In fact, it is not fully completed and the signage advises that the buyer can make decisions on final details. Ugh. It is so out of place. Kenmore is really not suited for a castle! Notice the small rambler next door? How would you like to live in the rambler and look out your window and see that?

The Three Stooges

Sometimes a developer buys a chunk of land and attempts to make the most of it. These three houses are identical (with a slight change in color) and they sit on cramped lots, packed tighter than sardines, right next to each other. What was the developer thinking? And how about the people that bought the homes? I wonder if they ever pull into the wrong driveway and try to go into the wrong house. I hope their keys are unique.

The House with Too Many Windows

Seriously, why so many windows on such a flat wall? Why not break them up so they are not in the same pattern? Why not add a deck or shutters or something to provide some contrast? When I first saw this house I thought it might be a multi-family dwelling so I walked up around to the front of it. And there I confirmed that it is indeed a single-family home. And their view? The fenced basketball court with a kid’s play set to the far right. Another ugh.


The House with the Big, Brown, Wooden Door

What else can I say? It doesn’t “match” the rest of the house. Maybe it has some special meaning to the owners – maybe they brought it from their old house.

The Tired House

I think this house has been condemned. And foreclosed. But I also think it was recently purchased because I noticed that the bushes in front of the house have been trimmed. It has potential. And with a lot of love it could be turned around. I’ll keep my eye on this one.

The Free (and Ugly) Boat

No, this isn’t a house. But it is on the property of The Tired House. I guess it’s a tired sailboat. I better not tell Mike about it or he’ll somehow manage to haul it home…

Those are the houses and that is my House Tour.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very fitting names for the houses. do keep us up to date on the "tired house". there was a similar one in lake stevens, foreclosed and really falling apart. someone bought it, fixed it up and put in a beautiful garden, and it is now for rent, or maybe for sale again.

have a great week!

teresa

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Teresa! I hope you send some pics of Japanese houses. I was so surprised to see that your rental is so "Americanized" - what's up with that?

I went by The Tired House yesterday and the outside window frames had blue painter's tape on them!

Anonymous said...

our place is so westernized because there are a lot of expats here working for big companies. from what i heard, there are 2 construction companies that make these western style homes. believe me, since we had a choice between kerosene heat in the winter, fans in the summer in temps that rival what you guys had in guaymas (around 98 deg. today and very muggy)and no oven or dishwasher, we definitely picked the place with all the commodities we are used to in the states. i told steve i could deal with just about anything except kerosene heaters which which is what we had our first 2 times here and in sicily, however, now that i see how hot it really gets, i`m even more glad we opted for this house.

how are your 4 legged babies? i fed around 15 cats in the park today. there were 2 kittens who were so precious i wished i could take them home. they let me pet t hem and they purred. then they climbed up a tree trying to get to a bird. they were so cute! i`ll keep feeding them at this particular park while we`re in the hilton. once we move icould probably come back once a week as long as the subways run real early.

nuff said.

take care,
t.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

So do you have AC there?? And what does kerosene heat mean anyway?

Do the cats meow in Japanese??

Anonymous said...

that question about the cats meowing in japanese made me laugh. i`ve actually been meaning to ask how people call for cats. do they say nekko, nekko, nekko like we say kitty, kitty, kitty? parrots do answer with konnichiwa as we found out once when we lived in yokosuka. we were walking by a pet shop and steve said hello to the bird, and we cracked up when it answered in japanese. of course, it just didn`t speak english.

kerosene heaters are heaters that you have to fill up with kerosene. they are smelly and take a while to warm up the house. we`d wake up freezing in the mornings. i hated it when we were in sasebo with our little guys. one time a toy was left too close and it started to melt, another time a cushion caught on fire even though we had a gatelike contraption around it.

yes, we do have a.c. we would be miserable without it. i know you had to deal with not having it in mexico as so many others do. since we had the option, we took the house with all the commodities. the only thing we need to buy is a microwave.

you know what a bidet is right? i`ll tell a little bit about them in my next post.

take care,

teresa