Friday, August 26, 2011

Blankets

I like blankets. Especially soft, plush, snuggly blankets that keep me warm. When we downsized in preparation for our move to Mexico we gave away some of our blankets. But there were a few that we just had to keep. And in fact we’ve added a couple of new blankets since our return to the US.


This is my kitty cat blanket.

My friend Cheryl gave it to me many, many years ago. It is fun because it has all the different kitty cats on it. It lives on our loveseat and it is Mike’s favorite. He wraps it around himself when he’s watching TV and it keeps him very happy.


These are our twin AT&T Wireless blankets.

Both Mike and I worked for AT&T Wireless – before it merged with Cingular Wireless. :( And one year AT&T Wireless gave these soft, fuzzy blankets to employees as part of a promotion. They also had handy straps that wrapped around the blanket, transforming it into a nice, easy-to-carry package. (The handy straps were lost long ago.) These are perfect blankets to take to early spring Mariners' baseball games to keep us warm in the chilly innings of the game. They fit into a backpack and they’re just big enough to cover us. Plus, the traditional Mariners' peanut shells fall right off with just a shake of the blanket!


This is our Puerto Vallarta blanket.

It was year 2000 when Mike and I made our first trip to Mexico together. We went to Puerto Vallarta and stayed at the Sheraton Buganvilia. I remember that trip like it was yesterday. The swim-up bar. The room with the bright blue chairs and fuchia pillows. The view of Banderas Bay. Room service! And the short walk from the hotel into town. But I also remember buying this fiesta-colored blanket on the beach. We schlepped it home to Seattle and I sent it to my mom in Alaska. When she passed, it was one of the few treasures I brought back home. I always think of my mom when I see this blanket. It’s been good for picnics from here to Mexico to Salem and back.


This is our gray wool blanket.

I’d call this a utilitarian blanket. No frills. No snuggleability factor. Not even a cool color. But it’s handy. I used to carry it in the trunk of my car – you never know when you might have an emergency and need to get down on the ground. And who wants to get their pretty, little knees dirty when kneeling on pavement? I don’t know why it’s not in the truck. Maybe I’ll move it there. (And the funny thing is I couldn't find it right off the bat for the pic - it was in my cedar wardrobe in the office...what a weird place for it!)


This is our giant electric blanket.

Mike is always cold. I am always hot. So we found a solution for nippy winter nights. We got this monster in Salem for our king size bed. It’s a little big for the queen size bed we have now, but it is still a good answer because it has dual controls. Yes. Mike can have his half of the blanket cranked up so that he breaks a sweat. And I can have my half of the blanket not turned on at all (see how my electrical cord has never even been unraveled!) Our giant electric blanket keeps the peace in our family.


And this is Mike’s Harley Davidson birthday blanket.

Betty and Ron gave this to Mike for his birthday in 2009 when we were living in their house in Salem. It is bright and bold, soft and fluffy, warm and cuddly. And funny enough, it has become my TV blanket. It lives on the arm of our couch and it has lulled me to sleep many a time when my eyes could not longer fixate on the TV. I love Mike’s Harley blanket!

What's your favorite blanket??

4 comments:

Tancho said...

Not living in the Great White North, a sheet is almost enough most of the time. I do not enjoy heavy blankets because of the memory of the pressure on my feet from surgery years ago. Instead of a electric blanket which has some health concerns we got a electric mattress pad which we turn on to warm the bed and then turn it off. Seems to do the job nicely, our movable bed warmers keep us plenty warm 99% of the time. I think you may have seen pictures of them warming themselves in front of the fireplace during the winters.
Taz and Daisy are a little more expensive to operate than the electric blanket, I'm sure.
The new fabrics like your AT&T blanket are great, warm, soft and lightweight. We have a few around for extra cover when we need it.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Tancho! Yes, I remeember your fireplace and your weiner dogs. In fact, I just took another look at them. Our big boy, Rock, can keep all four of our feet warm. I have never heard of an electric mattress pad...I wonder if they make them with dual controls?

Allan said...

Hi,

Do you know where you bought your "cat blanket", and if they are still available? I have one, and I would like another one, but can't find out where to buy them. I'm sure mine is late 80's vintage.

If you could help, my email address is reichea@bellsouth.net

Thanks so much.

Allan

reichea said...

Hi,

Can you tell me if you can still get that "Kitty cat blanket"? I have one as well, and would love to get another, but I cannot find a location where they are being sold. If you have any info, please email me at: reichea@bellsouth.net

Thank you very much.

Allan