Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sitka, the Kong-Chasing Sky Dog

It’s been just over 2 months since we said good-bye to Sitka. And we think about her all the time. It’s weird how I can be walking through the apt and wonder where she is – is she outside sniffing something in the grass or in the office patiently waiting for me to sit down at my laptop? Is it time to feed her? Or take her for a walk? Does she want a head rub or can I lay my head down on her big belly and take a nap?

The good thing is that Mike and I can remember her together and laugh about all the crazy things she did. I got out 2 photo albums (yes, real hard copy pictures I had printed before I got a digital camera) recently and looked at the many pics we have of Sitka. I’ll have to scan all of them so I can have them on my laptop, but for today I just scanned one. Take a look.


At first glance it probably just looks like she’s jumping up, right?

But if you look closer you will see that I somehow managed to capture a shot of her in mid-air, as tall as Mike, leaping for her beloved Kong.

When we see this pic it brings back all kinds of warm and fuzzy feelings. xoxo

8 comments:

1st Mate said...

Fantastic shot! You must have a really fast camera. She WAS as big as Mike. Good thing she was so well-behaved.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Bliss - Sitka was the very best! My camera is a very simple Nikon that I used for my real estate business and it's still working! How's your photography class going?

GlorV1 said...

Hi M & C. Hope all is okay. You know, we can never forget our family pet members (fpm) as they give us unconditional love and ask for little. I still miss Chorizo very much and sometimes I feel her, as if she had walked by. She'll be gone 3 years next month on the 14th. We just lost SisterMay last month and they each have their personalities. The love of a DOG is superb. You may need to look into getting another family pet member. It may be too soon but it may be what you need. Take care and remember Sitka just the way you are doing right now, with love and happiness. Take care.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Gloria - I remember your Chorizo and SisterMay and I can tell how much they meant to you. Sitka was just so darn funny and she followed me everywhere and she always wanted to be at my side. Looking at the old pictures brings back good memories.

Steve Cotton said...

Nice post. I thought of Jiggs this morning as I was heading out the back gate on my way to work. Wondering whether I had walked him before I left.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Steve - That's the exact same feeling I'm talking about. Maybe Prof. Jiggs and Sitka are chasing balls together...

Anonymous said...

that's a great shot. i know how special she was and i'm so glad that i got to meet her as well as prof. jiggs. you will always have a special place in your heart for her.

we just got back from our trip today shortly after 4:00. we had a great time in spite of not having the greatest weather. camped at lake pend oreille in idaho for 2 nights and froze our tushies off the 2nd night-it got down to 36. we stayed in a hotel in west glacier in montana and waterton lakes up in alberta. both areas are beautiful!

the highlight of the trip was having a big black bear run across the street in front of our van up in waterton. we also saw lots of mule deer there. i counted 34 our 2nd day there.

hope all is well with you guys.

teresa

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi t - We can't believe you saw a BEAR! Glad you two made it home safe and sound...hopefully, you brought a ray of sunshine back to brighten our gray days!