Monday, September 27, 2010

Coals a Glowin’ & Wine a Flowin’


We had weekend visitors from Salem, Princess & family…Princess was the other Legal Secretary I worked with at the Oregon Employment Appeals Board. Part of our job entailed fielding phone inquiries and talking with people that were struggling with today’s economy. It was very helpful to have Princess to “debrief” with after a difficult phone call or after reading a tragic letter. Together we complied a list of resources to which we could refer our callers and that helped a lot. When not on the phone Princess and I laughed and sang and made our job so fun that I really enjoyed going to work each morning.


They got here Friday evening and Chef Mike grilled up some BBQ chicken! Princess, Brian, Devin and Mike.

We also finally got to taste that Portuguese wine I mentioned in July, Vinho Verde from Casal Garcia. It was so light and fresh, with just a hint of effervescence. We loved it (thank you, Jackie!) I also broke out the red Chilean wine I had received as a farewell gift when we left Salem. It is called Locomotora from Carmenere, Lontue Valley – Sagrada Familia. It was rich and full-bodied and very complementary to the chicken. (Thank you, Carol!)

Saturday we went to the Pike Place Market. Princess had promised a friend she’d pick up an ancho chile spice at Market Spice so off we went. This is also where you can buy the cinnamony Market Spice Tea. They had samples, we tried it and Princess just had to buy some.


There were many, many unusual teapots. I really liked this one.

The weather on Saturday was absolutely beautiful – great for walking through the Market. And I never get tired of taking pics of the produce.


Rainbow carrots.


Lobster mushrooms.


Colorful hanging chiles. Who would ever want to break them apart??


We stopped for lunch at the Pike Place Bar and Grill and did some people watching out the windows. Then we stopped at the world-famous Gum Wall. A Post Alley wall covered with gum. YUCK!


Before we ended our tour of the Market, we got the obligatory photograph of Devin on Rachel the Pig. And all too soon it was time to say our goodbyes. Thanks for coming to visit, Princess!

5 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I thought of you this morning while walking to work. I felt as if I was reliving one of your tales from last year.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Ahh, yes. Fog in Salem. I remember it well!

GlorV1 said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun with your friends. I loved that farmers market. Those rainbow carrots are just awesome. I've never tried growing different colors of carrots but I'm up for it this coming season. I think they are wintry veggies if I'm not mistaken. Hey, glad you enjoyed yourself and thx for entering the giveaway. Take care.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Those carrots look weird! And have you ever seen Lobster Mushrooms? They were sooo bright orange - just like a lobster.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having us!