Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mike's Bamboo Bar & Grill Birthday Dinner

My long-time, trusty camera, a Nikon Coolpix 4300 that helped me sell houses, our Acura, our Harley, our furniture and even our own house + documented our drive to and fro Mexico + our year in Salem, Oregon + our last few months back in Seattle…is on the blink. Or at least the transfer cable and maybe the cable slot are shot. Those darn little pins are so sensitive and I think I bent one or two so I am unable to download the pictures I took Saturday night, but I can still describe it!

After our wonderful day with Kenmore Air we came home and I (luckily) was able to download all the pics I had taken that day. I knew that flying to Victoria was tentative due to the weather so I had an alternative plan for going out to eat. And in the pouring rain I put the plan into action.


We got in the truck and drove to West Seattle and ate at Bamboo Bar and Grill. The restaurant has covered outside dining and we almost went for that option, but decided on a window table inside that was nice and warm. I love the ambiance of this place and it has a beachy, tiki décor, plus it looks out onto Elliot Bay where we watched ferries and tankers go sailing by.


We started with the Seafood Skewers (prawns, halibut and salmon) with mango and teriyaki sauces on the side and a nice portion of rice (get your visual imagination going and picture this tropical food on colorful Fiestaware.) For his entrée Mike had the University of Washington v. Nebraska Sooners special (the big game was in Seattle on Saturday), a good-sized slab of pretty, pink Prime Rib. I had the Roasted Crab Stuffed Prawns, baked with a huge stem of rosemary threaded through the seafood. We both really liked our choices and Mike even ate all of his veggies!

After all of that we took our time walking down Alki Avenue and stepped out of the rain into an art gallery that had its sliding doors open, inviting us to visit. Mike finished the night with a mocha and a piece of dark chocolate and back to Kenmore we went. It was a fun day all around and now Mike can finally say we are the same age – again – at least for the next couple of months.

10 comments:

1st Mate said...

Hi, Cyn - You guys really know how to celebrate! Please tell dear Mike feliz cumpleanos from me and good boy for eating his veggies.

GlorV1 said...

Hi and Happy Birthday to Mike! Yay a birthday party. Sounds like it was a very nice birthday dinner. I did visualize and it sure did look yummy. Glad you all had a great time and again, Happy Birthday to Mike and many more. Take care.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Bliss & Gloria - Yes, we had a good time and Mike had a very happy birthday. Thanks for the good wishes.

Anonymous said...

reading that made me so hungry. it all sounded wonderful!

teresa

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

t - That's the place you said you wanted to go to...it was "tiki-ish" - we loved it!

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tancho said...

Happy Birthday, glad you did it up good!
I also had the problem with either the cords or the pins on the mem card wearing out. I finally invested in a Wifi memory card, which automatically transfers stuff on the memory card over to your computer without any connection other than a wireless network. It runs about 50 dollars but worth the price in the easy of downloading the pics. They even have a model that will use public wifi to send them to a photo site if wanted.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

WHAT? Are you saying that somehow, magically, the pictures appear on the computer without a cable or without sticking the card into a printer? Just by MAGIC??

Tancho said...

Yep Magic, I had an senior memory lapse when I was writing that , otherwise I would have told you it is a Eyefi card, they run between 30 and 75 bucks, and magically zap your photos to a file on your computer via a wireless network. Really neat.When you consider a 8G card costs 30 bucks anyway, 50 bucks for a eyefi card isn't too bad considering the convenience of not hooking up or removing the card each time.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Holy crap! Hey, Mike...Tancho says...