Thursday, November 5, 2009

Bikin' to Work

I accepted the job offer on a Monday (back in May) and bought my used beach bike soon thereafter. I took the bus on my first day of work, but since then I have probably ridden my bike on average 4 times a week. (The 5th day I wear a skirt and take the bus.)

But even though we changed our clocks back 1 hour last weekend it is getting very dark outside right after 5 pm – the time I get on my bike and pedal home. So this will be my last week of bike riding until next spring.

I can’t explain how much I enjoy biking to and from work. Even last summer when it was in the 100’s and it was HOT! Riding is fun and I get to see people from a different perspective. And I would say that Salem drivers are very courteous to bikers.

So the last 2 days I took pictures as I biked into downtown Salem from West Salem. It’s a short ride…just what I like.

The small stretch of traffic down Wallace to the trail...

The beginning of the trail that leads to the bridge...

It is so peaceful right here...

The fog was dense yesterday morning...

The Willamette River was so calm...

The bridge will soon be temporarily closed so the lead-based paint can be removed...

The end of the bridge brings me to downtown, with just a few blocks to go...

Government buildings I pass on my way...

Here is my office...

The view out my window...

Winding through the Capitol...

The creek next to our office has salmon runs...

On my way back to West Salem...hope you enjoyed the trip!

6 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I didn't know your office was in the old governor's house. Jiggs and I would walk that trail every day. Thanks for the memory.

Babs said...

You live in Paradise!

Michael Dickson said...

Great ride. Great office. You doing good.

GlorV1 said...

Thanks for the ride, I really enjoyed that. Great photos too. Your office where you work is awesome. Steve says he used to walk by there with good ole Jiggs, ah memories for him and now you are making your own memories as you ride along happily. I bet you lost weight too. Take care and have a great weekend.

The Propane Chef said...

Beautiful colors, nice capture of the shapes -- thanks for that peaceful bike tour!

Marianne,
s/v Gallant Fox
now in Mazatlan

Ron and Betty said...

Wish I could ride a bike as easily as you do. By the way thanks for the lift yesterday when the bike got to be too much! Love your pictures. Salem is a beautiful town and I don't think the fall colors could be more beautiful!