Tuesday, May 19, 2009

WORLD'S RECORD - Interview, Offer, Negotiation, AND Acceptance!

It’s called contract law. I am a paralegal and I know something about it. I am now in contract with the State of Oregon.

Mike and I got to Salem on January 25, 2009, but even before that date I had begun applying to jobs online. Salem is the capital of Oregon and I found many “legal” jobs listed. I’d say the bulk of my applications were for governmental jobs – not always legal jobs, but jobs for which I knew I was qualified and that sounded interesting.

I posted about Behavioral Interviewing recently and I had several interviews using that method. Ugh. (Although practice has made it easier.)

Yesterday morning at 9:00 I had an interview scheduled for a Legal Secretary position in the Employment Department with the State of Oregon. I got there 15 minutes early to study “the questions” I anticipated. I was happily surprised to find there would be no Behavioral Interviewing questions. Instead I sat in a conference room with 3 interacting human beings and we had a conversation and traded questions. It was very comfortable.

Before I knew it, it was over and I was feeling some really good energy. I told Cheryl all about it over breakfast and then I went home and told Mike about it. While Mike and I were out shopping for fishing tackle, I got a call offering me the job. After a couple more calls and emails, negotiations were settled and by 4:30 I accepted the position. (Who says government doesn’t move quickly?!)

I have one more week of playing in Salem before I start on Tuesday after the long Memorial Day weekend. Mike has his neurologist appointment this Thursday and he has several “fishing dates” on his calendar. Now that he is doing so much better it won’t be so difficult for me to say goodbye to him each morning. I know he’ll be okay. I’m ready to work and it sounds like work is ready for me.

YEAH YIPPEE SKIPPY!!!

5 comments:

Ron and Betty said...

Just like I always said, "Anybody who doesn't hire you is a fool". Congratulations! We are delighted for both of you and Sitka! See ya
Friday Mike for some fishing!

Anonymous said...

i'm thrilled that you got the job cynthia. i had a feeling one was coming up! and the timing couldn't be better now that mike has improved so much.

i'll e-mail you tomorrow. i have to walk jack, my little doggie. more on him in the e-mail.

hi to mike and a head pat for sitka.

Anonymous said...

since i forgot to sign my name, is there some way you could tell that last comment was from me?

teresa

GlorV1 said...

Congratulations Cynthia! I think it's great that you are going out into the work force. I haven't worked for some time and actually I don't miss it. There may come a time when I go back to Real Estate, but for now, home is where the heart is. Congrats again and Happy Tuesday for you and also have a great weekend.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Betty, Teresa, Brenda & Gloria - THANK YOU! And I hope you all enjoy a great weekend...I know I will!