Monday, May 4, 2009

Bob and Mike and Mike

Mike finally has his much awaited neurologist appointment scheduled on May 22nd. I’m not sure why it is so difficult to see a neurologist in Salem, but it has been very frustrating. The neurologist will most likely order an MRI to check on Mike's arachnoid cyst and the implant done in Mexico City. Plus, we want to hear the neurologist's opinion regarding the anti-seizure meds that Mike takes. They are so strong that Mike is not up to his usual self.

In fact, he is not “up” to much at all these days. Imagine having the life that you know stripped from you. Imagine not being able to hold a job cause you can’t think straight (among other limitations). Imagine not able to ride a Harley Davidson motorcycle EVER again (Mike’s Harley weighed 666 pounds before accessories and there is no way he could maneuver something that heavy at this point). Imagine not even being able to drive a car or truck cause you might have a seizure at the wheel. And imagine feeling like you have let your family down when something that you had absolutely no control over dramatically changed your life.

It sucks.

HOWEVER, Ron has been talking fishing to Mike. Ron is a fly fisherman and although Mike prefers a rod and reel, Ron and Betty have offered to take Mike fishing. But Mike had (key word = HAD) no fishing gear. Since I’m not working yet I was hesitant to fork over big bucks for sporting equipment. And that’s when I remembered how much Craigslist helped us to sell our car, Harley, furniture and other stuff before we moved to Mexico. So I put an ad on Craigslist, looking for used fishing gear.

Through this ad I met two men. Bob and Mike. Bob offered to sell me 2 rods and reels, hooks, line, weights, lures, tools and all kinds of other stuff I don’t even know how to name. And for a decent price! Mike (Craigslist Mike) offered to take Mike out on his boat and let Mike use his fishing gear.

As I got to know Bob and Mike through email last week (I was doing this all behind my Mike’s back), I was touched by their generosity and willingness to help out a complete stranger that just wanted to go fishing. Both of them have been hard hit with the employment situation in the Salem area, yet their kindness persevered difficult times.

So on Saturday I picked up Bob’s fishing gear and surprised Mike with it. He was beyond himself. I also got him a tackle box and he spent a good part of the afternoon sorting through his goodies. Mike plans to email Bob with his thanks and Mike (boat Mike) to ask about going fishing. Oh, and of course, Mike will show Ron his new stuff and figure out when they can go fishing.

Out of adversity, Mike and I often find opportunity. This episode landed two new friends.

6 comments:

Ron and Betty said...

It is awesome how really good hearted people are when given a chance. Ron & I are thrilled to know Mike is getting all set up to go fishing. At the end of May there will be fish to catch on the Santiam and Brightenbush Rivers and we have found a perfect place that will be safe and easy to get to as well. Great News!

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Si si..he's getting ready to go!

Michael Dickson said...

May Mike catch many trout.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Thanks, Sean...

GlorV1 said...

How nice of you to secretly do this for you husband. I bet he was so happy . I hope he enjoys his fishing trip and I will pray for his health. You are a strong woman. God bless you both.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Thank you for your good wishes, Gloria!