Monday, May 18, 2009

My Best Friend Cheryl


I met Cheryl when I was the new kid at my school in the sixth grade. Being the new kid is not easy. Cheryl was nice to me because I was in her mom’s Camp Fire Girls group. We were 11 when we met and we soon discovered that we share the same birthday, December 1st. From then on we had that special day together and at age 53 we have now had 42 shared birthdays – not always together, but it's even more special when we are able to celebrate together. But it doesn’t stop there.

When I came home from Bellingham, Washington, after a very trying quarter at Western Washington University, Cheryl was there for me.

When I came from South Florida, after a year of playing on the beach, Cheryl was there for me.

When I came home from Iceland, after a month of frolicking with the sheep, the small horses and a boyfriend named Olafur, Cheryl was there for me.

And yes, when I came home from Mexico, after 9 months of challenges beyond my imagination, Cheryl was there for me.

Yesterday Cheryl came to visit Mike and me in Salem. Her daughter goes to the University of Oregon in Eugene and Cheryl spent the weekend in Eugene before coming north to Salem. It was so good to see her. The last time we saw each other was May 14, 2008, the day before we left for Mexico.

We spent time at our apt looking at pictures of Mexico and catching up like only best friends can. We all went out to dinner at the Roadhouse last night (cool place – there are peanuts on every table and you can throw the shells on the floor!) And this morning Cheryl and I met for breakfast and a little more time to gab with just the two of us. Before I knew it, it was noon and Cheryl was hitting the road for Seattle – well, actually Mill Creek.


How lucky am I to have this great friend?

3 comments:

Michael Dickson said...

Dang, Cynthia, you could at least have taken enough shots to get her with her eyes open! But we get the picture, so to speak. She probably will want to throttle you.

My best friend in high school also had the same birthday as mine, same year too. Alas, I have lost touch with him.

GlorV1 said...

How lucky you are to have a friend such as Cheryl. Friendship feels good. Hey Cynthia, I like the rainbow colors you have. Very nice. Take care and have a great Tuesday. Hope you enjoyed breakfast.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Felipe - I DID take several pics and I really think the one I posted is complementary...it shows Cheryl telling me to put my FREAKING camera away...and she has done that sooooo many times over the years. I hope she likes it and does NOT throttle me!
p.s. Maybe you could try to find your friend through your high school reunions or Facebook or something like that? We're having our 35th reunion this summer and Cheryl's planning it all!

Gloria - I am indeed lucky to have Cheryl in my life all these years. Everyone - see My Rainbow at the bottom of my posts...you might want to take "the test."