Friday, May 29, 2009

Back in the Saddle

I think this is the longest period of “no blogging” for me since I started this thing! I have been very busy 1) enjoying my last few days of freedom last week 2) getting ready to start my new job and 3) acclimating to government employment.

To enjoy my last few days of freedom, I spent a lot of time outdoors soaking up the sun, playing with Sitka, and shuttling Mike down to the dock and back. And last Friday Mike went fishing with Ron and Betty and I had the WHOLE DAY to myself. I bought a People magazine (I never do that) and had champagne and lobster. I’m worth it.

To get ready to start my new job I did some shopping for skirts, shoes, foods for lunch and a BIKE! I got a great deal from a guy on Craigslist for a 21-speed beach bike to ride to work.


Downtown Salem has limited parking and I figured I would either ride the bus or bike to work. I added a wire basket to carry my lunch bag and camera – isn’t it cute?

Acclimating to government employment has been smooth. On my first day I got my picture ID badge and found that I since I bus/bike to work I get a bus pass for unlimited usage, no charge. Plus, I am allowed to drive 2 days a month and park at any 2-hour parking meter for FREE all day. How cool is that?

Day 1 I took the bus to work. That was my first time on a Salem bus and I learned that a bus from where we live in West Salem to downtown Salem is FREE. And in the downtown core busses are all free.


Days 2, 3, and 4 I rode my bike to work. Here I go...

We live about 1.5 miles from my office and it takes me about 15 minutes to weave through a bit of traffic, but most of my ride is over the Union Street Railroad Pedestrian & Bicycle Bridge and then down quiet side streets.


The bridge.


Pictures from the Veteran's Administration Park close to my office.

I work with a small group, in a tre cool office, within the State of Oregon Employment Department with 3 board members (2 of whom are attorneys),4 attorneys, another legal secretary and myself. (I am the number 2 legal secretary.) The work we do is interesting - it is about Unemployment Insurance disputes and boy there are a lot of those right now.

Mike is also acclimating. He’s looking for a bike to buy so that he can bike to the river and go fishing. He has made friends with a bunch of fishing guys and he is loving it. I’m so happy to see him enjoying life again. He finally saw a neurologist and he will begin B-12 injections (I get to do it…hehehe) and folate supplements next week. Hopefully this treatment will help him in many regards.

It is clear, sunny, and warm. We have lots of new friends. Mike’s brother, Mickey, visited this week from Hubbard, Oregon. Sitka is happy in her little yard. Life is good in Salem.

6 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Too bad I am not still in Salem. You would be close enough to share lunch in the Archives Park with Jiggs. (He really misses all of that grass.) Your shots of the park brough back some great memories. Congratulations on landing the job -- especially in this economy!

GlorV1 said...

Looks like you are enjoying your bike riding to work and brother you are going to be a fit woman in no time at all. I wish I could ride a bike, but my knees are real bad. Good luck at your new job.

1st Mate said...

So happy to see things are coming together for you and Mike! The bike suits you and it looks like the job is a good fit, too. Now you get to be a nurse (at least for the injections) too, something more to add to your list of accomplishments. Bravo!

Ron and Betty said...

Hi Everyone! Cynthia is so happy about her new job you can hear laughter in her voice as she talkes about it. We are elated to have both Mike and Cynthia as close
neighbors and friends. Couldn't be better! Congrats Friends!

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

WOW! We both just new old bikes! I just posted about mine and stopped by to see what you have been up to. How awesome! I am so glad life is good in Salem! I know it is a beautiful place!

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Thanks all! It was another beautiful day here and we spent a good part of the day down on the dock. Tomorrow - off to my 2nd week at work.