Friday, May 1, 2009

H1N1

It’s gotten close to home. Maybe. A student at Western Oregon University (in Monmouth, about 15 miles southwest of Salem) tested positive for influenza and there is a high probability that it is H1N1. (I like that name better. It sounds so science fictiony…) So the school is closed today and all sporting events to be held on campus have been cancelled through Monday.

Other than that, I’m not aware of any other concerns about H1N1 in our area. I haven’t seen any masks or anything else that indicates people are doing anything other than their normal activities.

It does kind of creep me out knowing that people are dying from the flu. But Bliss does give some interesting stats about flu...What's happening in YOUR area?

6 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Our dinner in La Manzanilla went well. The restaurant got around the gathering ban by moving the tables to the beach. An elegant Mexican solution.

1st Mate said...

Cynthia - It seems a little reactionary, to close schools and cancel sporting events for one unconfirmed case. But that's what's happening all over. Imagine what it's like in a household with kids.

Brenda Maas said...

So far, zero cases in Sonora.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Steve - AMM's post and your post were a delight to read. I just wish Mike and I could have been there!

Bliss - Agreed, but last night when I heard H1N1 might be just 15 miles away it made is seem a lot more real. CARAMBA!

Brenda - Good to hear. I keep thinking about all my kids at St. Mary's Preschool - what in the world are their parents doing with them since they're not in school?!

GlorV1 said...

The bay area has some cases, 4 I think and Tracy about 30 minutes away now has a case, a woman. It is scary and I am trying to take precautions without being panicky. Take care.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Gloria - "without being paicky" - I agree, that is the way to go!