Thursday, February 19, 2009

Silver Falls State Park and Silverton Reservoir Marine Park

We went on a road trip today. Not too far from Salem, just a loop out to Silver Falls State Park, on to Silverton Reservoir Marine Park, through Silverton and back to Salem.

My friend, Kevin, had recommended the State Park to us - thank you for the great idea, Kevin! We left about 9:30 this morning and traffic was very light so I never even went the speed limit…we just moseyed along. The park is about 25 miles east of Salem through rolling hills of Christmas tree farms. I had never seen so many tree farms! Some of the farm homes were new and very large while others were older and modest.

The park was virtually empty. There is a lodge there, but it was closed because the furnace was being repaired. We saw just a couple of other cars and only 3 other people. I kept Sitka leashed and we wandered around. The grounds are clean and well landscaped and there are many BBQ grills, picnic tables and shelters. There are walking and biking trails and wooden bridges crossing the river. We saw a place to swim in the river and I can imagine that the place is packed all summer.

We weren’t up for a hike down to the falls, but we pulled over at a viewpoint and got a few pictures. Unfortunately, the pictures do not capture the immensity of the falls.

We went on through the park and found ourselves at the Silverton Reservoir Marine Park. It’s a small park with a boat ramp for paddle boats or electric powered boats only. It also has 2 fishing docks and a wheelchair accessible fishing pier (2 disabled parking spots were built right next to the pier – really cool!)

Mike walked Sitka on the floating docs and she was excited by the water slapping up on the docks. She lapped at the water which initially scared me (you don’t want your dog lapping water in Guaymas,) but then I saw how clear it was and since it is a reservoir I wasn’t too worried. I reached down to get my hand wet and it was COLD!
We also noticed a rope swing high in a tree. I can just imagine all the kids clamoring over the swing in the middle of the summer. Maybe we’ll come back when it’s warm and I’ll try it!

We continued on the road through the small town of Silverton and soon enough found our way back to Salem. We stopped downtown at The Brick for a late lunch before heading home.

It was good to get out today. And Mike has been inspired to maybe start his own blog with lots of pictures. I’ll let you know when he’s up and going…

3 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I wish I had thought to recommend Silver Falls to you. I keep forgetting how magnificent it is. To me it is just there every day.

When I was in law school here in town, I packed a pile of papers in an attache case and took them up to the pool formed by the fall. I sat there most of the day doing paperwork.

I had almost forgotten about that episode.

Anonymous said...

beautiful. maybe we can drive out there when i visit-i love waterfalls. or maybe we can try that rope swing in the summer ;-)

teaching middle school p.e. today. subbed for the same teacher yesterday-it was fun! i'm surprised at how many kids remember me from elementary school. it's always nice to be remembered.

have a great weekend! i sure am looking forward to my snowshoe trip.

teresa

Anonymous said...

I glad to read that you are seeing some of our beautiful state. Another great drive is the Mt. Hood scenic loop. Wait until summer and take this drive.
http://jackieinpdx.com/2008/05/22/where-i-live-oregon/