Saturday, February 7, 2009

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

My brother is 55 and he has mental illness, specifically schizoaffective disorder. And our family history indicates that other family members also had mental illness. It’s really nothing to be embarrassed about, but it’s not something I generally discuss. All that said, my interest has always been piqued when hearing about Frances Farmer, Sylvia Plath or even the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

So imagine my surprise when our landlords, Betty and Ron, along with Mike and me, were headed out to dinner last night and when we passed the Oregon State Hospital Betty mentioned that was where One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest was filmed. I was so surprised. Betty explained that while much of the original structure remains and is in use, some parts of the building are now off limits due to structural decay and deterioration.I went back to the hospital this morning to take some pictures. And I found it interesting to note the street names on the driveway intersection, Bluejay and Bluebird. I wonder if that was supposed to sooth the patients?

3 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Cynthia and Mike -- so glad to see you discovering Salem. I'm sure we'll eventually run into each other!

Anonymous said...

that's real interesting. i saw the play and movie. did you see either one? if not, i would strongly recommend renting the movie.

brenda and i just walked 9 miles and i am going square dancing tonight. i should sleep real well.

take care,
teresa

Steve Cotton said...

Did they show you the building across the street where the director of corrections was murdered in 1989? A lot of us think of it as one of Oregon's more sensational "unsolved" murders -- even though a man is currently serving time for the crime.