Thursday, December 25, 2008

Iglesia de San Fernando

Bliss came over to our apt just after 8pm last night, visiting with Mike and Sitka before the short walk to the church. I have walked around the entire perimeter of Iglesia de San Fernando many times, yet until last night I had not stepped over the threshold.

For Christmas Eve Mass the church was beautifully decorated with poinsettias, greens and a multitude of candles. Bliss went right to the choir area where Lolita was already in place at the organ. The choir members all wore red shawls or scarves and looked very festive. The priests were smiling, the incense was wafting, and there were many families as well as solo visitors to the church.

The service began and even though I didn’t understand the language or the Catholic traditions, I enjoyed the sense of community and love exuding from the people surrounding me. The choir sang many familiar carols and I found myself singing along in English.

After Mass Bliss and I wandered out to look at the Nativity set up in the newly constructed grotto in the church’s courtyard. When I went back today to take pictures the gate was locked so I could only get a shot of the rear of the grotto.And this shot of the steeple that can be seen from many vistas in Guaymas.Notice the CLOUDS??Very unusual for Guaymas, but perfect for a quiet Christmas at home. Happy Holidays to you and your families!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

The same to you and Mike, and Sitka. Relax & Enjoy.