Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve in Guaymas

It is sunny and 72F here in Guaymas today and earlier I had on shorts, a t-shirt and sandals.

But I have changed into hardly ever worn LONG PANTS and a light sweater as Mike and I were very happy to join Lolita and her large family for their big Christmas Eve feast this afternoon. On a sad note, Lolita’s housekeeper’s father passed away on Monday evening…leaving Lolita to do all the cooking! See Lolita with her daughter, Lolita, below.
But cook she did and it was wonderful. My favorite dish was roasted chilies with onions in a dreamy, creamy sauce. It had “heat,” but not so much that I could not take another bite. And another bite. And one more bite…oh, and then there was the homemade carrot cake!

I am not Catholic, but tonight I will go to the 9:00 Mass at Iglesia de San Fernando (Lolita’s church just 2 blocks away.) Both Lolita and Bliss will be singing in the choir tonight and I have wanted to hear them for quite some time!

Mike, unfortunately, is not feeling too good today and I doubt that he’ll make it to Mass. He has been fighting a bad cold and cough for over 3 weeks. That, combined with the wacky anti-seizure meds he takes every 8 hours, has wiped him out. He’s not eating much and he has lost a lot of weight. It may be time for a trip to the US to get another opinion on his medical situation.

But for today, we are together and quietly enjoying the day with Sitka!

3 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Cynthia -- I can't remember if you have ever mentioned Sitka's age. Jiggs will be 13 on 1 January.

I hope you enjoyed the choir. Have a merry Christmas -- and a fantastic 2009.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Steve - We adopted Sitka when she was 3 (or so that's the age we were given) and we have had her for 7.5 years so she's getting close to 11!

The choir was great and we wish you the best in Mexico in 2009!

Beth said...

Hey! I was SO happy to read that SItka was home! I thought about her often. What a wonderful Christmas surprise for you and Mike!!!

All the best to you both in 2009. I hope Mike is feeling better soon.

Take good care of yourselves!