Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Fourth of July in the United States

We’re alive and well in Salem, Oregon. We had a wonderful three-day weekend to celebrate the Fourth of July and we reflected back on last year’s Fourth in Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico. I remember buying an apple pie and vanilla ice cream. I was so upset when I got home from the grocery store, opened the ice cream and found that ONE HALF of it had already been eaten. CARAMBA! From that I learned to always open any unsealed food containers prior to purchasing them - in Mexico, that is.

This year we didn’t have apple pie or even ice cream, but we did go to Salem’s Riverfront Park – I had the first corn dog I’ve had in years, Mike had a lukewarm hamburger and we shared curly fries that fell to the ground 3 times before we found a picnic table. Somehow bad food doesn’t taste so bad in that sort of situation.

There was a huge carnival set up, with amusement rides and games, and fireworks scheduled to be set off over the Willamette River later in the evening. We ended up going home before the fireworks, but we could see them through the trees from our apartment.

Being back in the United States on this holiday was a good thing for us. Mike is still fishing. Sitka is still chasing squirrels. I am still enjoying the challenges of my new job.

That’s it...happy in Salem. Who'd have thunk?

1 comment:

Steve Cotton said...

It was very heartening to read this post. It helps put into context your post today. Life is filled with moments of loss, but they always play out against the background of joy. I miss talking with the two of you.