Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father’s Day Weekend in Salem

Yesterday I thought seriously about Linda Lou’s comment regarding decorations for my bike basket so I went to Goodwill searching for fake flowers. I found some beautiful white roses with a pink tint…along with some berries that are bright red. I took it all home and wired it to the basket.

Nice, huh? With my pretty new flowered basket I biked around downtown Salem, and into the Capitol area checking out the state buildings. The traffic was much lighter than it is during the week and it was fun and safe everywhere I went.
The grandest structure is the Oregon State Capitol with the beautiful fountains out front. I lunched in this building last Wednesday with my new boss. Notice the gold Oregon Pioneer on top of the building? I have often used the Pioneer as a landmark when turned around downtown and he helps me get back on track.

And here are other pics of buildings and the landscaping.

I went a couple of blocks north and cruised by the Saturday Market. It is huge although difficult to tell from this pic. Next time I’ll take pics of some the great things to be had in the Market.

After all that Mike and I headed to Big 5 for some fishing stuff…he ended up getting a brand new rod and reel for Father’s Day and more fishing “necessities” so he’ll be ready for his next fishing date.

This morning we joined Betty and Ron’s family for Father’s Day breakfast at a great place here in West Salem called Annette’s. We had 12 people in our party and even though the waitress warned us she had never worked the breakfast shift before everything was just wonderful! The food was hot, the service was friendly and every table had a large vase of fresh flowers on it. We’ll be back there to try dinner.
We cruised west a bit and found some really nice vistas from the top of the hills.

Mike and I stopped for yet more fishing stuff today and this afternoon we’re headed to the unique movie theatre, Northern Lights, where we can have dinner served to us during the movie. We’re going to see Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey, Jr. in The Soloist. It should be good.

And then back home to enjoy a cool evening on the deck before hitting the hay…we hope all dads out there had a great Father’s Day!

6 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Ah. You brought back some nice memories. I miss the roses this time of year.

GlorV1 said...

Hi. Sounds like you had a really nice time and how great to be with family. I hope you and your husband enjoy the movie and I love Robert Downney Jr. He is a great actor. A fishing rod for your husband was great since he is now fishing. Have a great week.

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

your bike is now perfect!!! the flowers are great!
And I really enjoyed the photos, truly northwest!

Ron and Betty said...

Nice Pictures! We were so glad you joined our family for breakfast! You are such fun and we enjoy your company! Glad to see you are really finding the beauty and fun of our little town.
We are proud of Salem and how it is growing in a people friendly way.

Frankly Ronda said...

It is really pretty there.

Like the bike. Personality++

1st Mate said...

What a beautiful place you live in! And your bike just makes it that much more attractive. So glad you're happy with your new job.