Thursday, April 9, 2009

Stimulus Package and Unemployment Insurance

For 6 years I was a Litigation Paralegal, laid off from Cingular Wireless in May 2006. While I searched for a job, and before I decided to become a Real Estate Salesperson, I collected unemployment insurance. When the benefits were exhausted I studied for the real estate license exam and went to work for Coldwell Banker Bain.

Everyone who has been reading our blog knows what happened after that…teaching English in Mexico and now job searching in Salem. It had not occurred to me to check on an extension for my old unemployment insurance claim. But our landlord’s daughter suggested I check into it. So I did. And today I spoke with a rep from the Unemployment Office in Washington.

She could not confirm if I am eligible for benefits, but she said she was reopening my claim and that I should begin by documenting my job search this week and file my online claim on Sunday. What a surprise! So if anyone else is in a similar situation, you might want to check in with your Unemployment Office. Finally, the stimulus package may be hitting home…

4 comments:

1st Mate said...

Wow, maybe you will be cut a little slack! Very smart to follow this up. I hope it works!

Babs said...

GREAT news - I'll keep my fingers crossed Oh, and by the way, thanks for thinking of me when you listened to the Jimmy Buffet CD!

GlorV1 said...

Well that's a good thing. I hope it all works out for you.
Happy Easter.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Bliss, Babs & Gloria - Gracias, gracias y feliz semana santa a ustedes y a sus familias.