Friday, April 10, 2009

Pearl Jam Ten and Ten remix 2009 - Eddie Vedder is da man!


If you don’t know the music, you may not appreciate the info in this post. But I do, so here I go…(hey, I’m from Seattle…grunge is in my blood…besides I sat next to Mr. Vedder once at a Seattle Mariners baseball game – remember Chackie???)

Wiki says, “While Ten deals with dark subject matter, it has almost been universally considered to be a high water-mark of the early 1990s alternative rock sound, with Vedder's unusually deep and strong (and later much imitated) voice alternating between solidity and vibrato against the unrestrained, guitar-heavy, pure rock sound that harkened back to Led Zeppelin and other rock bands of the 1970s. Ten's musical style, influenced by classic rock, combined an 'expansive harmonic vocabulary' with an anthemic sound. Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic stated that the songs on the album fused ‘the riff-heavy stadium rock of the '70s with the grit and anger of '80s post-punk, without ever neglecting hooks and choruses.’”

"On March 24, 2009, Ten was reissued in four editions (Legacy, Deluxe, Vinyl, and Super Deluxe). The extras on the four editions range from a remastering and remix of the entire album by producer Brendan O'Brien, six bonus tracks ("Brother", "Just a Girl", "Breath and a Scream", "State of Love and Trust", "2,000 Mile Blues", and "Evil Little Goat"), re-designed packaging, a DVD of the band's 1992 appearance on MTV Unplugged (I happen to have a copy of the MTV Unplugged show on videotape and I really do watch it now and then – all the way from Seattle to Mexico City to Guaymas - how perfect to have it now on DVD!!!), vinyl versions of the album, an LP of its September 20, 1992 concert at Magnuson Park in Seattle (also known as Drop in the Park) (I WAS AT THAT SHOW AND IT WAS F _ _ _ _ _ G UNDESCRIBABLE, SO MUCH ENERGY - Hell, Eddie tossed the microphone cord over the scaffolding, climbed up the scaffolding, and slid down the cord to the stage while singing!!! - You're not going to see that at a Madonna show!), a replica of the original Mamasan demo cassette, and a replica of Vedder's composition notebook containing personal notes and mementos. It is the first reissue in a planned re-release of Pearl Jam's entire catalogue that will lead up to the band's 20th anniversary in 2011.”

Today I picked up my special order from Brian at Harvest Music in Salem. That’s all I can say about my favorite band, PEARL JAM!!! Okay, back to the music...

p.s. Harvest Music is on Commercial Street in Salem and Brian has lots of vinyl, CDs, posters and other goodies for sale. He also has a crazy machine that corrects blemishes on CDs. Don’t give your $$ to a corporate music $tore, give it to Brian!
p.p.s.s. We also picked up the Dylan/Cash Sessions (from sometime in the ancient 60s) at Harvest Music - good stuff. Thanks Brian!

3 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Harvest Music is Way Kewl. Glad you found it.

Unknown said...

do I remember it??? is new york a big city??? of course, fond memories!!! I love your settling into Salem...ahhhhh hugs & smooches chackie

GlorV1 said...

I stopped by to say Happy Easter to you both and I can't say that I know who this band is, but if you like it, it must be great. Have a great Easter.