Wednesday, June 25, 2008

LAS CUCARACHAS

When I lived in South Florida, we called them Pallmetto Bugs. Susan, Maryjane – do you remember them?? They used to jump out at me when I opened the kitchen cabinets! Here they are known as LAS CUCARACHAS...

Now that we have the AC blasting only while we are sleeping, I really look forward to nightfall and turning on the AC. And it seems like once it is on it is not long before I am zonked out. Like last night…I fell asleep with the TV on…nice, cool, restful sleep…until 2:00ish AM…

Until I suddenly awoke and jumped from the bed. Until I pulled the sheets back and I thought I saw something moving. Until I turned on the lamp next to Mike’s side of the bed. Until I calmly said to Mike, “Mike, you might want to get up right now. I think there is a giant spider in the bed.”

Mike stood up. We pulled the sheets way back and didn’t see anything. But then – it sounded like a tennis ball hit tile next to the bed – and out of the folds of the bed’s dust ruffle fell a HUGE LA CUCARACHA! It ran across the floor toward the desk. Mike and I were yelling – asking each other what we should do. We saw it running and decided we needed to catch it.

I ran into the bedroom and got Sitka’s poop scooper (we’ve never used it for poop) and Mike scooped up the LA CUCARACHA. I opened the front door and he threw it out. That was the easy part.

Thinking of what had happened, and whether it will happen again, now that’s the hard part...

5 comments:

Paul said...

You should be able to get a fumagador to spray your place for 200 or 300 pesos, it will last for several months.
Paul

Brenda Maas said...

You are kinder than I am, when I see them I send them to bug heaven. If you let them go they will just come right back in.
We seldom see them inside the house, usually outside on the patio and I promptly squish them as apparently they breed very quickly.

1st Mate said...

Keep a heavy shoe handy and squash 'em. Everybody gets them here, it's the time of year when they show up. The fumagador is a good idea, just make sure it's safe for Sitka. I've never had one in the bed, that would be traumatic!

Josie said...

Ughhh... I am so not a fan of the creepy crawlies! I woke up with a cockroach crawling on me one night in India... yuck. yuck. yuck. Congrats on the job!!!

Overboard said...

Yes, you really are very kind. Roaches and mozzies are the only things I kill on earth; I feel bad about doing it but they are so annoying. I mean, I'd do the same to a certain President too, if I could get away with it, but I won't go there.
;)